UWM Union Art Gallery presents Photographic Reflections: Documenting Community
Opening October 17, 2019 and running through November 8, 2019, this show will present work by internationally-renowned photographers Alejandro Cartagena, Justine Kurland and Darcy Padilla.
MILWAUKEE, WI (October 3, 2019) – A new photography exhibition at the UWM Union Art Gallery highlights representations of diverse communities in the United States and Mexico in the upcoming exhibition Photographic Reflections: Documenting Community. Opening October 17, 2019 and running through November 8, 2019, this show will present work by internationally-renowned photographers Alejandro Cartagena, Justine Kurland and Darcy Padilla.
While photography has a unique way of capturing small glimpses into reality, it is the recontextualization of these unrelated moments that offers new narratives. Because these photographs present images both familiar and unfamiliar, the analysis of the dichotomies grants the viewer opportunities to see the world in new ways, expanding an understanding of human existence.
This exhibition is cosponsored by the Union Art Gallery, the Society of Photographic Education (SPE) Midwest 2019 Conference “Communities, Collaborations and Collectives”, the UWM Student Photography Club-FOCUS and Peck School of the Arts. For more conference information and associated programming, visit www.unionartgallery.uwm.edu.
UWM Union Art Gallery Programming:
All events are free and open to the public.
- Photographic Reflections Panel Discussion: Thursday, Oct 17 | 6:00pm
Union Art Gallery
- Photographic Reflections Opening Reception: Saturday, Oct 26 | 5-8pm
Artist talk by Darcy Padilla at 7pm in the Union Ballroom
Gallery hours are Monday thru Wednesday 12-5pm, Thursday 12-7pm and Friday 12-5pm. The Union Art Gallery is located on the Campus Level of the Union in room W199.
Other programming in conjunction with this exhibition includes:
- UWM Artists Now! Lecture Series / SPE Midwest 2019: Wednesday, October 23 | 7:30pm
Alejandro Cartagena at UWM Art Center Lecture Hall 120 (ACL 120)
- SPE Midwest 2019 Featured Speaker: Thursday, October 24 | 7:30pm
Justine Kurland at Saint Kate – The Arts Hotel Ballroom
- MIAD Creativity Series / SPE Midwest 2019: Friday, October 25 | 6-8pm
Strange Fire Collective at MIAD 4th Floor Raw Space
- Union Art Gallery / SPE Midwest 2019 SPE: Saturday, October 26 | 7:00pm
Darcy Padilla at UWM Union Ballroom
- Boundaries and Borders Opening Reception: Saturday, October 26 | 5:00pm – 6:30pm
at the UWM Arts Center Gallery