Unnecessary to Sacrifice Natural Resources for Foxconn
Building Economic Growth While Protecting Public Health is Possible
MADISON – After Governor Scott Walker and President Donald Trump announced last week a deal to build a massive Foxconn factory in Wisconsin, Walker revealed special legislation that, if passed, will exempt the manufacturing giant from many protections for Wisconsin’s natural resources.
Kerry Schumann, executive director, issued this statement:
“In Wisconsin, we take pride in a job well done. Building economic strength, creating jobs, and protecting Wisconsin’s vulnerable natural resources are not mutually exclusive endeavors. We all love Wisconsin. We want Wisconsin’s economy to be as healthy as its drinking water, air, lakes, and rivers. We were surprised by Gov. Walker’s radical exemptions for Foxconn. A rollback of such an extreme nature is unnecessary. Wisconsin League of Conservation Voters asks legislators to get the job done right – protect their constituents’ public health and water resources by rejecting the sweeping anti-conservation exemptions in the Foxconn bill.”
Wisconsin League of Conservation Voters is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to electing conservation leaders, holding decision makers accountable, and encouraging lawmakers to champion conservation policies that effectively protect Wisconsin’s public health and natural resources.
You can follow legislation impacting natural resources on our Conservation Vote Tracker, a real-time accountability tool that provides you with a complete picture of what conservation issues are in play and how legislators are performing: http://conservationvoters.org/vote-tracker/
- Foxconn Will Make 10K Ventilators - Corri Hess - Jun 19th, 2020
- Medtronic and Foxconn Partner to Increase Ventilator Production - Foxconn Technology Group - Jun 18th, 2020
- Foxconn Audit Delayed Two Months - Erik Gunn - Jun 3rd, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn’s Profits Plunge By 90% - Bruce Murphy - May 19th, 2020
- Foxconn to Assemble Procedural Masks in Wisconsin for Pandemic Relief - Foxconn Technology Group - Apr 20th, 2020
- Murphy’s Law: Foxconn Squeezes Evers - Bruce Murphy - Apr 15th, 2020
- Foxconn Says It Earned Tax Credits - Corri Hess - Apr 9th, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn Plant Will Make Ventilators - Bruce Murphy - Apr 8th, 2020
- Op Ed: Foxconn Facility Could Help in Pandemic - James Rowen - Mar 29th, 2020
- Op Ed: The Foxconn Road to Ruin - James Rowen - Mar 9th, 2020
Read more about Foxconn Facility here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Wisconsin Conservation Voters
Playing politics with PFAS crisis is cowardly
Gov. Evers’ order will establish a public information website to inform the public on PFAS and the risk these chemicals pose to public health and Wisconsin’s natural resources.
State government demonstrates its commitment to clean energy