Senator Agard Sends Letter to JFC Co-Chairs in Support of Keeping Legalization of Marijuana in State Budget
MADISON- Today, Senator Melissa Agard (D-Madison) sent a letter to the Joint Committee on Finance co-chairs in support of keeping the legalization and taxation of medical and recreational marijuana in the state budget. The letter encouraged them to look at the positive economic benefits of legalizing and taxing marijuana like we already do with alcohol. Senator Agard released this statement regarding the letter:
Support for marijuana legalization has been steadily increasing in Wisconsin and across the nation:
- In 2019, a Marquette University Law Poll found that nearly 60 percent of Wisconsinites support the legalization of marijuana.
- Senator Agard introduced the first ever full legalization bill in Wisconsin in 2013. Since then, the number of cosponsors has more than tripled.
“Wisconsinites are suffering because of decades-old, racist drug policies that have been affecting communities of color at disproportionate rates. This provision starts to address the disparities that have been created by our outdated criminal justice system.
“At a time like this – when our state is feeling the devastating economic effects of the pandemic – it is important that we make every dollar count. This is the smartest decision we can make to ensure long term economic growth. This provision needs to be left in the budget. This is good for all of Wisconsin.”
- Senator Agard Sends Letter to JFC Co-Chairs in Support of Keeping Legalization of Marijuana in State Budget - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Feb 10th, 2021
- Chairwoman Nicholson Supports County and State Efforts to End Marijuana Prohibition - County Board Chairwoman Marcelia Nicholson - Feb 10th, 2021
- MKE County: Resolution Cuts Pot Possession Fine to $1 - Graham Kilmer - Feb 9th, 2021
- Supervisor Ortiz-Velez Introduces Proposal Reducing Penalty for Marijuana Possession - Sup. Sylvia Ortiz-Velez - Feb 9th, 2021
- Wisconsin Would Use Marijuana Legalization to Pay For Education, Equity - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 7th, 2021
- Senator Agard Supports Governor Evers’ Budget Provision to Legalize and Tax Marijuana in Wisconsin - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Feb 7th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Proposes Legalizing Marijuana, Investing Portion of Revenue in Equity Initiatives and Rural Schools - Gov. Tony Evers - Feb 7th, 2021
- County Supervisors Back $1 Pot Penalty - Gretchen Schuldt - Feb 6th, 2021
- Cannabis Reform Gets Bipartisan Support - Isiah Holmes - Nov 8th, 2020
- A Day to Consider Legalizing Pot - Isiah Holmes - Apr 20th, 2020
Read more about Legalizing of Marijuana here
Recent Press Releases by State Sen. Melissa Agard
The State Senate met to take first steps to upgrade the unemployment system shortcomings after nearly a year of issues.