Rep. Robyn Vining Continues Fight for Fair Maps
"We are committed to nonpartisan redistricting reform, and will continue to advocate for fair and representative legislative maps."
MADISON – Today, State Representative Robyn Vining (D-Wauwatosa), State Senator Dave Hansen (D-Green Bay), and fair maps advocates officially announced the introduction of legislation, Assembly Bill 303 and its companion Senate Bill 288, that would create nonpartisan redistricting reform in Wisconsin. Rep. Vining issued the following statement after the press conference today:
“We are committed to nonpartisan redistricting reform, and will continue to advocate for fair and representative legislative maps. This is a bipartisan effort – I thank my Assembly Republican colleagues for signing onto this legislation, and encourage others to follow their path.
We talk a lot around here about how “The Will of the People is the Law of the Land”– it’s inscribed on the ceiling of the Governor’s conference room. Partisan gerrymandering puts this Wisconsin value in danger because when people aren’t represented, their issues aren’t represented.
As a State Representative I took an oath, an oath I take seriously. I am not here to draw maps to protect my job, I am here to draw maps to protect the will of the people. It is my job to protect the will of the people, and that is precisely our mission with fair maps legislation.
The will of the people is the law of the land, and the voice of the people is the heart of our state. Every vote deserves equal value. The time for a public hearing on this bill is now.”
- 8 More Counties Plan Referendum on Gerrymandering - Matt Rothschild - Jun 29th, 2020
- Op Ed: Jensen Tries to Pre-Rig Redistricting - Matt Rothschild - Jun 9th, 2020
- WILL Wants WI Supreme Court to Take Redistricting Cases First - Shawn Johnson - Jun 4th, 2020
- Back in the News: Scott Walker Loses Again - Bruce Murphy - Apr 29th, 2020
- 51 of 72 Counties Now Back Fair Maps - Matt Rothschild - Apr 15th, 2020
- 23 Advisory Votes on Gerrymandering - Matt Rothschild - Mar 25th, 2020
- City Hall: Ballots Won’t Have Duplicate Gerrymandering Questions - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 27th, 2020
- Did Gerrymandering Kill Medicaid Expansion? - Erik Gunn - Feb 25th, 2020
- Data Wonk: The Republicans’ Gerrymander Scheme - Bruce Thompson - Feb 5th, 2020
- The State of Politics: Redistricting Fight Is One Year Away - Steven Walters - Feb 3rd, 2020
Read more about Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts here