Rake Your Leaves into the Street Beginning October 1, 2017
DPW collects leaves, brush and yard waste separately from garbage and composts it, which conserves natural resources while saving the City money.
The City of Milwaukee Department of Public Works (DPW) announces that residents may rake their leaves into the curb lanes beginning Sunday, October 1 and ending Wednesday, November 15, 2017.
Leaves and brush, along with other yard waste, are banned from landfills and must not be placed in garbage or recycling carts. DPW collects leaves, brush and yard waste separately from garbage and composts it, which conserves natural resources while saving the City money. Residents are also encouraged to mulch leaves and leave grass clippings on the lawn. This saves time and money, and adds nutrients to the soil.
Tips for a successful fall leaf collection:
- Rake leaf piles into the street but keep them away from storm drains and sewer grates
- Keep leaf piles away from the curb – give a one-foot space
- Place garden debris on top of leaf piles
- Do not put leaves in plastic or paper bags
- Do not put leaves in garbage carts
- Pumpkins – Compost them if they have no melted candle wax or decorations. Otherwise, place them in your garbage cart, NOT IN THE LEAF PILE
- Do not put brush into the street – place it on the grass next to the curb. Call 286-CITY through November for a pick-up. Brush is defined as woody stalks such as tree branches and bushes.
Sanitation staff collects an average of 15,000 tons of leaves each year between mid-October and the first week of December. Last year 12,908 tons of leaves were collected.
By early October, all City of Milwaukee households of four or fewer units should receive a DPW Fall 2017 newsletter in the mail. This newsletter includes important information on:
- Recycling right and avoiding the “Dirty Dozen”
- DPW Sanitation dates to remember
- Hours/locations of City Drop-Off sites for leaves, brush, old electronics, appliances, furniture, and more
- Save the date! 2018 7th Annual Compost bin & rain barrel sale
For more information, call (414) 286-CITY (-2489) or visit the DPW website at milwaukee.gov/mpw.
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by City of Milwaukee Dept. of Public Works
TRAFFIC ALERT – Bradley Center Roof Demolition to Close N. Vel R. Phillips Av. and W. State St. Sunday, January 13, 2019 from 6:00 am to 11:00 amJan 10th, 2019 by City of Milwaukee Dept. of Public Works
Commuters are advised to slow down, abide by the construction signage, and add extra time navigating this area or use an alternate route to and from their destinations.
TRAFFIC ALERT: East Locust Street Closed from North Cramer Street to North Oakland Avenue – January 3 through January 12, 2019Jan 3rd, 2019 by City of Milwaukee Dept. of Public Works
The street will be closed to facilitate construction at the property located at 2900 North Oakland Avenue.
TRAFFIC ALERT – East Locust Street from North Oakland Avenue east to the Alley will be Closed on December 4, 2018 from 9:00 am to 4:00 pmDec 3rd, 2018 by City of Milwaukee Dept. of Public Works
The sidewalk on the south side of East Locust Street will remain open for pedestrian traffic.