Northwestern Mutual Tower and Commons Wraps Up Successful 2015
Currently there are approximately 504 workers on the site daily, and that number will continue to increase as the Tower grows.
MILWAUKEE, Dec. 31, 2015 – As 2015 comes to a close, the Northwestern Mutual Tower and Commons continues to take major steps towards completion by the end of 2017. Currently there are approximately 504 workers on the site daily, and that number will continue to increase as the Tower grows.
Recent activity on the site includes:
- The installation of temporary insulated enclosures where the company’s south building atrium and Van Buren Street skywalk will connect. Crews are also putting in temporary heaters in the ceiling and walls to keep the pipes from freezing as colder weather approaches.
- The Commons will soon be entirely enclosed by glass and granite curtain wall. The company expects to enclose the atrium in glass in early 2016.
- Interior walls are being built in what will be the Mason Street lobby, training rooms and other gathering spaces.
- A total of 21 floors of The Tower are now framed in steel, with 18-19 of them having concrete slabs on which crews are working. The company expects to top off steel erection in the first half of 2016.
- Installation of the glass curtain wall has begun on the south side of the Tower. Crews are working eastward before wrapping around the east end of the Tower and continue westward, which will enclose floors 5 through 9. Four floors at a time will be wrapped in glass as the building takes shape. Once that process is underway, interior buildouts can begin, including floors, walls and air handler installation.
Check out the latest time lapse video between July and November: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJmpXK5sq5s
The company promised to tap small business enterprises (SBEs) for 25 percent of the project costs and utilize city residents through the Resident Preference Program (RPP) for 40 percent of the hours worked on the project. The most recent report submitted to the city of Milwaukee shows nearly 30 percent of the project contracts have been awarded to SBEs, and more than 46 percent of the construction hours were performed by Milwaukee residents from the RPP program.
Dozens of local and Wisconsin-based small business enterprises (SBEs) are currently working or have completed work on the project.
The 32-story, 1.1 million-square-foot office tower will preserve 1,100 downtown jobs while adding 1,900 new positions as an anchor of Milwaukee’s lakefront development. The Commons will welcome visitors to the city through the 4.6-acre Northwestern Mutual Gardens, a public café and a visitors’ center.
Visit www.northwesternmutual.com/buildingmke for more information, jobs reports and images of the Northwestern Mutual Tower and Commons. Send an email to BuildingMKE@northwesternmutual.com to sign up for regular updates on follow us on Twitter: @NM_MKE.
About Northwestern Mutual
Northwestern Mutual has been helping families and businesses achieve financial security for nearly 160 years. Our financial representatives build relationships with clients through a distinctive planning approach that integrates risk management with wealth accumulation, preservation and distribution. With $230 billion in assets, $27 billion in revenues, nearly $90 billion in assets under management in our investment products and services, and more than $1.5 trillion worth of life insurance protection in force, Northwestern Mutual delivers financial security to 4.3 million people who rely on us for insurance and investment solutions, including life, disability income and long-term care insurance; annuities; trust services; mutual funds; and investment advisory products and services. Northwestern Mutual is recognized by FORTUNE magazine as one of the “World’s Most Admired” life insurance companies in 2015.
Northwestern Mutual is the marketing name for The Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company, Milwaukee, WI, and its subsidiaries. Northwestern Mutual and its subsidiaries offer a comprehensive approach to financial security solutions including: life insurance, long-term care insurance, disability income insurance, annuities, life insurance with long-term care benefits, investment products, and advisory products and services. Subsidiaries include Northwestern Mutual Real Estate Investments, LLC; Northwestern Mutual Investment Services, LLC, broker-dealer, registered investment adviser, member FINRA and SIPC; the Northwestern Mutual Wealth Management Company, limited purpose federal savings bank; and Northwestern Long Term Care Insurance Company.
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Northwestern Mutual
First-of-Its-Kind Art Exhibit Highlights the Power of Giving, Set to Open in The Northwestern Mutual Tower and CommonsDec 5th, 2017 by Northwestern Mutual
Northwestern Mutual Foundation commemorates its 25th anniversary with local exhibit showcasing philanthropic impact
Milwaukee residents awarded grants for local organizations during annual Days of Sharing program