New Restrictions On PFAS-containing Firefighting Foams Effective Sept. 1
MADISON, Wis. – 2019 Wisconsin Act 101, published on Feb. 6, 2020 and codified in Wisconsin Statutes section 299.48, implements measures that mitigate the discharge of PFAS-containing firefighting foam into the environment, and in doing so supports efforts by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and fire departments to protect the health and safety of Wisconsin residents and the firefighting community.
This law goes into effect on Sept. 1, 2020 and stipulates that the use of PFAS-containing firefighting foams is prohibited with two exceptions: Its use in emergency firefighting operations or testing in an appropriately equipped facility.
Starting Sept. 1, the use of PFAS-containing firefighting foams is strictly prohibited for the purpose of training. Such foams may only be used in an emergency firefighting or fire prevention operation and for testing purposes in a facility that has implemented appropriate containment, treatment and disposal or storage measures which do not lead to discharges into the environment.
If PFAS-containing foam is used in an emergency, the law requires fire departments to notify the DNR as soon as practicable without hindering firefighting or prevention operations. When testing foam effectiveness or equipment, the DNR must be notified immediately if there is any discharge of PFAS-containing foam into the environment.
The DNR continues to move forward in partnership with Wisconsin’s fire departments to ensure that there are policies in place to protect public health, while supporting the firefighting community in the service that they provide to Wisconsin residents. If you would like to learn more about this newly effective law, please visit the DNR’s webpage on PFAS-containing firefighting foam: https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/Contaminants/AFFF.html.
- DNR To Fund Sampling Of Hundreds Of Potable Wells For PFAS In The Town Of Peshtigo - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Sep 30th, 2020
- 13% of Wells Near JCI Site Have Elevated PFAS Levels - Danielle Kaeding - Sep 27th, 2020
- DNR Notified Of Possible Separate Contamination Issue At Marinette Facility That Has Paused PFAS Treatment - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Sep 18th, 2020
- 99% of State Public Water Meets Standards - Danielle Kaeding - Sep 16th, 2020
- DNR To Host Online Listening Sessions Sept. 16 Regarding PFAS Deer Tissue Sampling And Other Investigation Activities In Marinette, Peshtigo And Surrounding Communities - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Sep 15th, 2020
- DNR Publishes Annual Report Card On Efforts To Protect Wisconsin’s Drinking Water Supplies - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Sep 14th, 2020
- 2/3rds of State’s Fire Departments Stock Foam With PFAS - Danielle Kaeding - Sep 11th, 2020
- DNR Publishes Results Of Firefighting Department PFAS Survey - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Sep 10th, 2020
- Water Tech Challenge Targets PFAS - Graham Kilmer - Sep 1st, 2020
- Groundwater Coordinating Council Releases Recommendations To Improve Groundwater Quality And Quantity In Wisconsin - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Sep 1st, 2020
Read more about PFAS Problem here