New Restrictions On PFAS-containing Firefighting Foams Effective Sept. 1
MADISON, Wis. – 2019 Wisconsin Act 101, published on Feb. 6, 2020 and codified in Wisconsin Statutes section 299.48, implements measures that mitigate the discharge of PFAS-containing firefighting foam into the environment, and in doing so supports efforts by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and fire departments to protect the health and safety of Wisconsin residents and the firefighting community.
This law goes into effect on Sept. 1, 2020 and stipulates that the use of PFAS-containing firefighting foams is prohibited with two exceptions: Its use in emergency firefighting operations or testing in an appropriately equipped facility.
Starting Sept. 1, the use of PFAS-containing firefighting foams is strictly prohibited for the purpose of training. Such foams may only be used in an emergency firefighting or fire prevention operation and for testing purposes in a facility that has implemented appropriate containment, treatment and disposal or storage measures which do not lead to discharges into the environment.
If PFAS-containing foam is used in an emergency, the law requires fire departments to notify the DNR as soon as practicable without hindering firefighting or prevention operations. When testing foam effectiveness or equipment, the DNR must be notified immediately if there is any discharge of PFAS-containing foam into the environment.
The DNR continues to move forward in partnership with Wisconsin’s fire departments to ensure that there are policies in place to protect public health, while supporting the firefighting community in the service that they provide to Wisconsin residents. If you would like to learn more about this newly effective law, please visit the DNR’s webpage on PFAS-containing firefighting foam: https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/Contaminants/AFFF.html.
- Peshtigo Residents Faced “Massive” PFAS Contamination - John McCracken - May 7th, 2021
- Evers, Democrats Push PFAS Contamination Bill - Hope Kirwan - Apr 22nd, 2021
- Gov. Evers, State Legislators Announce Legislation to Address Statewide PFAS Contamination - Gov. Tony Evers - Apr 21st, 2021
- State Officials Push Action on PFAS - Shamane Mills - Apr 20th, 2021
- PFAS In Wisconsin Webinar 2 p.m. April 19 - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Apr 16th, 2021
- New Fish Consumption Advisory For Silver Creek - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Apr 15th, 2021
- DNR Extends Deadline For Town Of Peshtigo Residents To Receive Free PFAS Sampling Of Private Drinking Water Wells - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Apr 9th, 2021
- Business Lobby Sues DNR Over PFAS Testing - Danielle Kaeding - Apr 1st, 2021
- French Island Wells Show PFAS Pollution - Isiah Holmes - Mar 30th, 2021
- Multiple State Agencies Responding To PFAS Contamination On French Island - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Mar 25th, 2021
Read more about PFAS Problem here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
Minimal Rain Chances Elevate Risk In The Northwest