New Fish Consumption Advisory For Silver Creek
Elevated Levels Of PFAS Found In Brook And Brown Trout
MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and the Department of Health Services (DHS) are recommending a new fish consumption advisory of one meal per month for brook and brown trout in Silver Creek located in Monroe County.
As part of the DNR’s statewide PFAS monitoring efforts, trout were collected in July 2020 from two locations in Silver Creek. Elevated levels of PFOS (perfluorooctane sulfonate), the most common type of PFAS (per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances), were found in brook and brown trout in Silver Creek. This is the first PFOS based consumption advisory for inland trout species in Wisconsin.
Silver Creek is a popular destination for anglers who fish for trout at Fort McCoy. Wild brook and brown trout are common in Silver Creek where larger sized fish are present. Anglers wishing to fish Silver Creek are required to have a Fort McCoy fishing permit granted by the U.S. Army, as well as a 2021-2022 Wisconsin fishing license.
Based on the levels of PFOS found in these samples, the DNR and DHS are updating the recommended consumption advisory for brook and brown trout from the statewide safe-eating guidelines to one meal per month for everyone.
“Limiting your exposure to PFAS by choosing fish that are low in PFAS, and avoiding eating fish with elevated levels of PFAS, is the best way to reduce your risk while still maintaining the health benefits of fish consumption,” said Dr. Jonathan Meiman, Chief Medical Officer and State Epidemiologist for Occupational and Environmental Health at the Wisconsin Department of Health Services.
Currently, the extent of the contamination in Silver Creek is unknown. The DNR and Fort McCoy will conduct further testing later this year.
For more information on PFAS and associated human health effects, visit the DHS’s PFAS webpage.
- AG Kaul Leads 19 AGs in Urging EPA to Require Public Water Systems to Monitor for Additional PFAS - Josh Kaul - May 10th, 2021
- Peshtigo Residents Faced “Massive” PFAS Contamination - John McCracken - May 7th, 2021
- Evers, Democrats Push PFAS Contamination Bill - Hope Kirwan - Apr 22nd, 2021
- Gov. Evers, State Legislators Announce Legislation to Address Statewide PFAS Contamination - Gov. Tony Evers - Apr 21st, 2021
- State Officials Push Action on PFAS - Shamane Mills - Apr 20th, 2021
- PFAS In Wisconsin Webinar 2 p.m. April 19 - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Apr 16th, 2021
- New Fish Consumption Advisory For Silver Creek - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Apr 15th, 2021
- DNR Extends Deadline For Town Of Peshtigo Residents To Receive Free PFAS Sampling Of Private Drinking Water Wells - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Apr 9th, 2021
- Business Lobby Sues DNR Over PFAS Testing - Danielle Kaeding - Apr 1st, 2021
- French Island Wells Show PFAS Pollution - Isiah Holmes - Mar 30th, 2021
Read more about PFAS Problem here