Milwaukee Board of School Directors Will Vote on Referendum Question
Board to discuss referendum ballot question and financial scenarios at regular monthly meeting
MILWAUKEE, WI (December 18, 2019) — During its Regular Monthly Board Meeting on Thursday, December 19 scheduled for 6:30 p.m., the Milwaukee School Board of Directors will vote on agenda items that will include options for exceeding the revenue limit and approving a referendum question.
Last week, the board requested that the administration provide members with four items to be included in the discussion:
- Summary of polling.
- Financial scenarios that would increase MPS’ maximum revenue limit to levels comparable to surrounding districts, while being sustainable and balancing the needs of students with the needs of taxpayers.
- Legal wording options for each financial scenario presented that briefly describes the purpose of the referendum.
- A specific timeline for board meetings in January to outline how funds will be spent.
To see the agenda for the December 19 Regular Monthly Board Meeting, click here to download.
About Milwaukee Public Schools
Milwaukee Public Schools is committed to accelerating student achievement, building positive relationships between youth and adults and cultivating leadership at all levels. The district’s commitment to improvement continues to show results:
- Ninety percent of 2019-20 budget dollars go directly to classrooms;
- Four more MPS schools were approved to pursue IB authorization;
- The MPS Class of 2018 earned $86.2 million in scholarships; and
- MPS is home to five of the state and nation’s top high schools according to U.S. News and World Report.
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Milwaukee Public Schools
Twenty 'Stop, Grab & Go' locations will be available for MPS students while schools are closed
MPS continues to show gains in four-year student outcomes