Milwaukee Board of School Directors Accepts Task Force Report
MILWAUKEE, WI (December 12, 2019) —A report recommending ways to urgently address the needs of Milwaukee Public Schools passes the Committee on Strategic Planning and Budget and will move to the regular monthly board meeting of the Milwaukee Board of School Directors for a vote on December 19, 2019.
The report, authored by a 32-member community task force was presented Thursday by Task Force Co-Chairs Peter Feigin, president of the Milwaukee Bucks and Kimberly Walker, COO of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee.
It includes four recommendations to the board:
- Build increased community awareness of the assets and needs of MPS.
- Establish metrics and timelines for the eight priorities (identified by task force).
- Develop and articulate an aspirational, equitable budget.
- Frame and execute a referendum.
After thanking the task force for its work, the directors requested the administration to bring four items to its December 19 meeting:
- A summary of polling currently underway,
- A minimum of three different financial scenarios comparing MPS revenue limit per student with neighboring school districts.
- At least two legal wording options describing the purpose for the referendum, and
- A timeline in January of how funds will be spent, giving priority to those schools with the greatest need.
The December 19 regular monthly meeting of the Milwaukee Board of School Directors will take place at 6:30 p.m., Thursday at the Central Services Building Auditorium located at 5225 West Vliet Street in Milwaukee.
To read tonight’s meeting agenda and the task force’s full report, visit https://esb.milwaukee.k12.wi.us/
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Milwaukee Public Schools
Twenty 'Stop, Grab & Go' locations will be available for MPS students while schools are closed
MPS continues to show gains in four-year student outcomes