Harvest Day Celebrates A Fruitful Community of Leaders
Harvest Day 2018: Lead from Where You Live
Milwaukee, WI, August 21, 2018: Walnut Way welcomes neighbors and visitors to celebrate the Lindsay Heights community at our 18th annual street festival, Harvest Day. Come and celebrate Lindsay Heights’ vibrant spirit and culture with local performers, music, food, resource sharing, and retail vendors. We dedicate this year’s festival to a community that is Leading From Where It Lives. Join us Saturday, September 8 from 12:00pm – 5:00pm on 17th Street (2200 Block of N. 17th Street and North Avenue).
Live stage includes Host MC Damion Thompson and 88NINE Radio Milwaukee’s DJ Kima Hamilton. Performers include the harmonious SistaStrings duo; young rising jazz and hip-hop talent K-Stamp; the upbeat CNJ Latin Jazz band; poetry by Still Waters Collective; and Walnut Way’s Men’s Wellness Group rapper, C-Mills.
This year pays special tribute to leadership from within the community, especially the young people that have been leading the way by refining their skills in the arts and civic engagement. Don’t miss the:
- Youth Parade: Neu-Life Community Development will kick off the event with a youth parade.
- Mural Unveiling: We will be honoring the work of ArtWorks teen interns and staff by unveiling the newly restored Caring Neighbors Mural sponsored primarily through Potawatomi Hotel & Casino’s Heart of Canal Street program.
- Dancers: The Nefertari African Dance Company will pay homage to the ancestry of the community with dance and drum performances.
- Youth Talent Showcase: We will close the day with performances by young people from Walnut Way’s Boys 2 Leaders Program, Neu-Life Community Development, Urban Underground, and Josh Thomas.
- Special guests: A small cohort from the Navajo Nation will be with us as part of a cross cultural exchange through our partnership with MEDICC and our Boys 2 Leaders Youth Program.
Local food, retail, and educational vendors will be on site such as the flavorful Apple Hogs Barbeque, handmade jewelry by She Pats Design, and free blood pressure testing by The Medical College of Wisconsin.
Walnut Way Conservation Corp. is a resident-driven Central City neighborhood organization that lives a mission to sustain economically diverse and abundant communities through civic engagement, environmental stewardship, and creating venues for prosperity.
This event is free and open to the public. If you have any questions, please call the Walnut Way office at 414-264-2326 ext. 24 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
More info about Harvest Day at https://www.walnutway.org/about/harvest-day/
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Walnut Way Conservation Corp.
“Green-Ribbon” Status of the Lindsay Heights Neighborhood Grows with New Green Infrastructure, Solar Installations and Eco Tour DesignationApr 18th, 2019 by Walnut Way Conservation Corp.
Partners and Residents Celebrate the Neighborhood Improvements