Gov. Evers Delivers Democratic Radio Address on The People’s Maps Commission
MADISON — Gov. Tony Evers today delivered the Democratic Radio Address on The People’s Maps Commission. This commission will provide a transparent and nonpartisan redistricting option for the state of Wisconsin.
Hi, folks. Governor Tony Evers here.
When I ran for governor, I promised the people of this state that I would fight for nonpartisan redistricting and fair, impartial maps that were drawn in the light of day, and by golly, we’re going to make good on that promise.
Because I believe, and I know Wisconsinites do too, that the people should get to choose their elected officials, not the other way around.
Folks, the Legislature has had every opportunity to take up nonpartisan redistricting reform, but they’ve failed to act.
That’s why, following my State of the State Address earlier this year, we created The People’s Maps Commission to provide a transparent and nonpartisan redistricting option for the state of Wisconsin.
This committee will be comprised of the people of our state— not elected officials, lobbyists, or political party officials— and they will represent each one of Wisconsin’s congressional districts.
They will hold public hearings across the state to hear from their neighbors, experts, and stakeholders on the redistricting process and use that input to draw maps free of bias. Then, it will be up to the Legislature to take up and pass The People’s Maps.
Folks, this isn’t a Democratic or Republican redistricting commission, and it’s not the Tony Evers redistricting commission. It’s your commission. If you would like to apply to serve on the commission or to learn more, please visit: www.wisconsin.gov/peoplesmaps.Thank you so much.
- The People’s Maps Commission application deadline is this Friday - Ald. Khalif Rainey - Jul 29th, 2020
- Op Ed: Why Vos and Fitzgerald Fear Fair Maps - Jay Heck - Jul 23rd, 2020
- Op Ed: People’s Maps Commission Seeks Fair Elections - State Sen. Jeff Smith - Jul 21st, 2020
- Gov. Evers Delivers Democratic Radio Address on The People’s Maps Commission - Gov. Tony Evers - Jul 9th, 2020
- Statement from Senator Erpenbach on The People’s Maps Commission - State Sen. Jon Erpenbach - Jul 9th, 2020
- Gov. Evers Announces People’s Maps Commission Application and Selection Processes - Gov. Tony Evers - Jul 9th, 2020
- 8 More Counties Plan Referendum on Gerrymandering - Matt Rothschild - Jun 29th, 2020
- Op Ed: Jensen Tries to Pre-Rig Redistricting - Matt Rothschild - Jun 9th, 2020
- WILL Wants WI Supreme Court to Take Redistricting Cases First - Shawn Johnson - Jun 4th, 2020
- Back in the News: Scott Walker Loses Again - Bruce Murphy - Apr 29th, 2020
Read more about Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Gov. Tony Evers
Applications open for second round of funding on August 10