Gov. Evers Delivers Democratic Radio Address on The People’s Maps Commission
MADISON — Gov. Tony Evers today delivered the Democratic Radio Address on The People’s Maps Commission. This commission will provide a transparent and nonpartisan redistricting option for the state of Wisconsin.
Hi, folks. Governor Tony Evers here.
When I ran for governor, I promised the people of this state that I would fight for nonpartisan redistricting and fair, impartial maps that were drawn in the light of day, and by golly, we’re going to make good on that promise.
Because I believe, and I know Wisconsinites do too, that the people should get to choose their elected officials, not the other way around.
Folks, the Legislature has had every opportunity to take up nonpartisan redistricting reform, but they’ve failed to act.
That’s why, following my State of the State Address earlier this year, we created The People’s Maps Commission to provide a transparent and nonpartisan redistricting option for the state of Wisconsin.
This committee will be comprised of the people of our state— not elected officials, lobbyists, or political party officials— and they will represent each one of Wisconsin’s congressional districts.
They will hold public hearings across the state to hear from their neighbors, experts, and stakeholders on the redistricting process and use that input to draw maps free of bias. Then, it will be up to the Legislature to take up and pass The People’s Maps.
Folks, this isn’t a Democratic or Republican redistricting commission, and it’s not the Tony Evers redistricting commission. It’s your commission. If you would like to apply to serve on the commission or to learn more, please visit: www.wisconsin.gov/peoplesmaps.Thank you so much.
- Federal Court Could Intervene in Wisconsin Redistricting - Henry Redman - Sep 17th, 2021
- Evers, Kaul File Redistricting Lawsuit - Henry Redman - Sep 14th, 2021
- Gov. Evers, Attorney General Kaul File Motion to Intervene in Redistricting Lawsuit - Gov. Tony Evers - Sep 13th, 2021
- Lawsuits Fight Over State Redistricting - Henry Redman - Sep 8th, 2021
- Three Counties Push Nonpartisan Redistricting - Laurel White - Sep 7th, 2021
- Op Ed: State High Court Wary of Doing Redistricting - Ruth Conniff - Sep 6th, 2021
- Competing Redistricting Lawsuits in Federal, State Courts - Henry Redman - Aug 24th, 2021
- Nonpartisan Groups and Voters File Redistricting Challenge in Federal Couort - Law Forward - Aug 23rd, 2021
- WILL Asks Wisconsin Supreme Court to Take Jurisdiction of Redistricting - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Aug 23rd, 2021
- State Dems File First 2021 Redistricting Lawsuit - Laurel White - Aug 13th, 2021
Read more about Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Gov. Tony Evers