Freshmen legislators push new legislation to correct flawed partisan redistricting process
Freshmen Democratic legislators from the State Assembly today announced new legislation that would remove the redistricting authority from politicians and assigns it to a non-partisan body.
MADISON – Freshmen Democratic legislators from the State Assembly today announced new legislation that would remove the redistricting authority from politicians and assigns it to a non-partisan body.
“We need to remove partisan politics from the redistricting process and this bill is a common sense fix to a problem that has plagued our state for decades,” said Rep. Mandy Wright (D-Wausau). “The residents of Wisconsin should choose their elected representatives – not the other way around.”
Currently, state law mandates that members of the majority political party in the Assembly and Senate must re-draw district borders every 10 years. This bill re-assigns that authority to the non-partisan Legislative Reference Bureau and a to-be-created Redistricting Advisory Commission.
All 14 freshmen Democratic representatives have co-authored this bill, which has also garnered much support from other representatives and senators and voters across the state.
“Wisconsin cannot afford the almost $2 million we faced in the last redistricting debacle,” said Rep. Dianne Hesselbein (D-Middleton). “We are seven years away from the next remapping effort. Now’s the time to make the change before leadership becomes too entrenched to make a move.”
This bill is modeled after the redistricting process that has been in place in Iowa for more than 30 years.
“Time and again it’s proven to be an effective way to draw competitive districts, eliminate gerrymandering and ensure that all voters have an equal say in determining the makeup of their representation,” said Rep. Eric Genrich (D-Green Bay) of the Iowa process. “The time has come to set aside petty, short-term partisan interests and put the people of Wisconsin first. The time has come to enact, non-partisan redistricting reform legislation.”
Rep. Mandy Wright, 608.266.0654
Rep. Dianne Hesselbein, 608.266.5340
Rep. Eric Genrich, 608.266.0616
More about the Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts
- Data Wonk: John Roberts’ Nightmare - Bruce Thompson - Oct 11th, 2017
- The State of Politics: You Be The Judge on Redistricting - Steven Walters - Oct 2nd, 2017
- Op Ed: U.S. Supreme Court Should End Partisan Gerrymandering - Andrea Kaminski - Sep 26th, 2017
- Data Wonk: Judges Consider a Democratic Gerrymander - Bruce Thompson - Aug 30th, 2017
- Op Ed: 24 Counties Have Voted for Fair Maps - Matt Rothschild - Aug 25th, 2017
- Data Wonk: Right Wing Seeks to End Democracy? - Bruce Thompson - Aug 23rd, 2017
- Data Wonk: US Supreme Court Wrong on Redistricting? - Bruce Thompson - May 31st, 2017
- Op Ed: Save Taxes With Nonpartisan Redistricting - Andrea Kaminski and Lindsay Dorff - May 26th, 2017
- Data Wonk: Why GOP Backs Gerrymander - Bruce Thompson - May 24th, 2017
- Data Wonk: State’s Political Map At Issue - Bruce Thompson - May 18th, 2017
- Rep. Peter Barca Statement on Attorney General Appeal of Redistricting Decision - State Rep. Peter Barca - Feb 24th, 2017
- Fair Elections Project calls upon Legislature to focus on fair map drawing process - Wisconsin Fair Elections Project - Feb 24th, 2017
- Campaign Cash: GOP’s Redistricting Lawyers Are Big Donors - Matt Rothschild - Feb 6th, 2017
- Op Ed: Reject Partisanship, Redraw Voting Maps - Andrea Kaminski - Feb 3rd, 2017
- Rep. Peter Barca Statement on Assembly Organization Committee Secret Ballot - State Rep. Peter Barca - Feb 2nd, 2017
- Court Watch: Court’s Redistricting Order A Problem? - Bruce Thompson - Feb 1st, 2017
- Rep. Hesselbein Calls for Open, Transparent, and Public Process for Drawing New Legislative Lines - State Rep. Dianne Hesselbein - Jan 27th, 2017
- Wisconsin Federal Court Permanently Blocks State Redistricting Plan - Wisconsin Fair Elections Project - Jan 27th, 2017
- Data Wonk: 2016 Election Results Prove Gerrymandering - Bruce Thompson - Dec 28th, 2016
- Plaintiffs call for new maps for Wisconsin legislative district - Wisconsin Fair Elections Project - Dec 21st, 2016
- Data Wonk: Measuring Wisconsin’s Gerrymandering - Bruce Thompson - Dec 7th, 2016
- Sen. Taylor statement on federal court ruling against Republican gerrymandering - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Nov 21st, 2016
- Statement on Redistricting Ruling - State Sen. Chris Larson - Nov 21st, 2016
- Federal Court overturns unconstitutional gerrymandering of Wisconsin legislative districts - Wisconsin Fair Elections Project - Nov 21st, 2016
- Rep. Barca Statement on Redistricting Decision - State Rep. Peter Barca - Nov 21st, 2016
- HISTORIC DECISION: Wisconsin Federal Court Strikes Down Partisan Gerrymander and Adopts Groundbreaking Legal Standard - Campaign Legal Center - Nov 21st, 2016
- Murphy’s Law: The Myth of Democratic Gerrymandering - Bruce Murphy - Jan 26th, 2016
- Data Wonk: Can New Approach End Gerrymandering? - Bruce Thompson - Jan 6th, 2016
- Federal Lawsuit to Overturn Unconstitutional Gerrymandering of Wisconsin Legislative Districts Continues - Wisconsin Fair Elections Project - Dec 17th, 2015
- Can Auto Redistricting End Gerrymandering? - Laura Thompson - Dec 10th, 2015
- Assembly candidate Brostoff calls for non-partisan redistricting - State Rep. Jonathan Brostoff - Apr 17th, 2014
- Redistricting reform the antidote to Republican extremism - Press Release - Nov 13th, 2013
- Lazich, August, Fitzgerald and Vos Still Silent on Redistricting Reform Public Hearings As Support & Pressure Builds - Common Cause in Wisconsin - Sep 17th, 2013
- Freshmen legislators push new legislation to correct flawed partisan redistricting process - Press Release - Apr 11th, 2013
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Press Release
The Doulton is a spacious one-bedroom, one-bathroom apartment home with a den, and features original woodwork, built-in leaded glass bookcases, and decorative fireplace.
This unique event features an exciting, original, two-part program.
Over the years, Café Manna has received numerous accolades and awards.