DNR Seeking Public Input On PFAS Contamination In Marinette, Peshtigo And Surrounding Communities
MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is holding online listening sessions on Wednesday, July 21, to seek public input on PFAS contamination in the city of Marinette, the town of Peshtigo and surrounding communities. These listening sessions are the 15th in a series of public input opportunities hosted by the DNR for area residents.
The listening sessions will include routine updates from the DNR and the Department of Health Services (DHS) regarding the status of the PFAS investigations in the community.
These contaminants have made their way into the environment through spills of PFAS-containing chemicals, discharges of PFAS-containing wastewater to treatment plants and certain types of firefighting foams.
Addressing PFAS contamination in the environment is part of Gov. Tony Evers‘ statewide initiative to ensure Wisconsinites have access to clean, safe drinking water. In 2019, the governor signed Executive Order #40 to address the issue of PFAS across the state.
Listening Sessions On PFAS Contamination In Marinette & Peshtigo
WHEN: Wednesday, July 21, 2021, noon-2 p.m. and 6-7:30 p.m.
- Christine Haag – DNR Remediation and Redevelopment Program Director
- Bridget Kelly – DNR Remediation and Redevelopment Program PFAS Team Leader
- Alyssa Sellwood – DNR Remediation and Redevelopment Program Project Manager
- Kyle Burton – DNR Drinking Water and Groundwater Field Operations Director
- Brita Kilburg-Basnyat – DHS Toxicologist
WHERE: Join via Zoom here. Join by phone: 312-626-6799; Meeting ID: 826 6979 2625
- Gov. Evers, Several Great Lakes States’ Governors Commend Bipartisan Collaboration in Washington to Address PFAS - Gov. Tony Evers - Jul 23rd, 2021
- DNR Seeking Public Input On PFAS Contamination In Marinette, Peshtigo And Surrounding Communities - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Jul 20th, 2021
- Bill Could Reduce DNR’s Regulatory Authority Over PFAS - Danielle Kaeding - Jul 16th, 2021
- Environmental Groups Seek to Intervene in PFAS Case - Danielle Kaeding - Jun 15th, 2021
- Conservation voters urge expansion of clean water protections - Wisconsin Conservation Voters - May 20th, 2021
- DNR Hosts Virtual Listening Sessions On PFAS Contamination In Marinette & Peshtigo On May 19 - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - May 18th, 2021
- AG Kaul Leads 19 AGs in Urging EPA to Require Public Water Systems to Monitor for Additional PFAS - Josh Kaul - May 10th, 2021
- Peshtigo Residents Faced “Massive” PFAS Contamination - John McCracken - May 7th, 2021
- Evers, Democrats Push PFAS Contamination Bill - Hope Kirwan - Apr 22nd, 2021
- Gov. Evers, State Legislators Announce Legislation to Address Statewide PFAS Contamination - Gov. Tony Evers - Apr 21st, 2021
Read more about PFAS Problem here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
Learn How To Participate In The Air Permit Process
Wisconsin Beachgoers: Be Aware Of Blue-Green Algae Risks