DNR Hosts Virtual Listening Sessions On PFAS Contamination In Marinette & Peshtigo On May 19
Public Encouraged To Attend & Provide Comments
MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is hosting online listening sessions on Wednesday, May 19 to seek public input on PFAS contamination in Marinette, Peshtigo and surrounding communities. These listening sessions are the 14th public input opportunities hosted by the DNR for area residents.
The listening sessions will include routine updates from the DNR and the Department of Health Services (DHS) regarding the status of the PFAS investigations in the community.
PFAS (per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances) are a group of human-made chemicals used for decades in numerous products including non-stick cookware, fast food wrappers, stain-resistant sprays and certain types of firefighting foam.
These contaminants have made their way into the environment through spills of PFAS-containing chemicals, discharges of PFAS-containing wastewater to treatment plants and certain types of firefighting foams.
Addressing PFAS contamination in the environment is part of Gov. Tony Evers’ statewide initiative to ensure Wisconsinites have access to clean, safe, drinking water. In 2019, the governor signed Executive Order #40 to address the issue of PFAS across the state.
Additionally, the governor’s recently unveiled 2021-23 biennial budget proposes significant resources for the monitoring and testing of PFAS including over $20 million over the next two years for assistance and resources to local communities that are impacted by PFAS contamination, aiding local fire departments in disposing of PFAS foam, and adding additional DNR staff to implement the Wisconsin PFAS Action Council’s action plan.
Listening Sessions On PFAS Contamination In Marinette & Peshtigo
WHEN: Wednesday, May 19, 2021, Noon – 2 p.m. and 6 – 7:30 p.m.
WHO: Christine Haag – DNR Remediation and Redevelopment Program Director
Bridget Kelly – DNR Remediation and Redevelopment Program PFAS Team Leader
Alyssa Sellwood – DNR Remediation and Redevelopment Program Project Manager
Kyle Burton – DNR Drinking and Groundwater Field Operations Director
Brita Kilburg-Basnyat – DHS Toxicologist
WHERE: Join via Zoom here: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88268945061
Join by phone: 312-626-6799; Meeting ID: 882 6894 5061
- AG Kaul Calls on U.S. Senate to Pass legislation to Protect the Public from Highly Toxic ‘Forever’ Chemicals - Wisconsin Department of Justice - Nov 11th, 2022
- DNR Unveils Wisconsin PFAS Contamination Map - Henry Redman - Oct 19th, 2022
- Gov. Evers, DNR Celebrate 50th Anniversary of the Clean Water Act, Announce New Tool for Understanding PFAS Contamination in Wisconsin - Gov. Tony Evers - Oct 18th, 2022
- State Begins Collecting Environmentally-Damaging Firefighting Foam - Henry Redman - Oct 18th, 2022
- Gov. Evers, DNR Announce Beginning of PFAS Firefighting Foam Collection for Disposal - Gov. Tony Evers - Oct 17th, 2022
- DNR Seeking Public Input On PFAS Contamination In Marinette, Peshtigo And Surrounding Communities - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Oct 5th, 2022
- Republican-Controlled Legislature Has Hindered Environmental Protection - Danielle Kaeding - Sep 30th, 2022
- Baldwin, Bipartisan Group of 39 Senators Push for Increased Action to Address PFAS Exposure at Military Installations - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Sep 21st, 2022
- State’s PFAS-Polluted Towns Hail EPA Proposal - Danielle Kaeding - Aug 27th, 2022
- State PFAS Council Releases Progress Report - Henry Redman - Aug 19th, 2022
Read more about PFAS Problem here