DNR Hosts Virtual Listening Sessions On PFAS Contamination In Marinette & Peshtigo On May 19
Public Encouraged To Attend & Provide Comments
MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is hosting online listening sessions on Wednesday, May 19 to seek public input on PFAS contamination in Marinette, Peshtigo and surrounding communities. These listening sessions are the 14th public input opportunities hosted by the DNR for area residents.
The listening sessions will include routine updates from the DNR and the Department of Health Services (DHS) regarding the status of the PFAS investigations in the community.
PFAS (per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances) are a group of human-made chemicals used for decades in numerous products including non-stick cookware, fast food wrappers, stain-resistant sprays and certain types of firefighting foam.
These contaminants have made their way into the environment through spills of PFAS-containing chemicals, discharges of PFAS-containing wastewater to treatment plants and certain types of firefighting foams.
Addressing PFAS contamination in the environment is part of Gov. Tony Evers’ statewide initiative to ensure Wisconsinites have access to clean, safe, drinking water. In 2019, the governor signed Executive Order #40 to address the issue of PFAS across the state.
Additionally, the governor’s recently unveiled 2021-23 biennial budget proposes significant resources for the monitoring and testing of PFAS including over $20 million over the next two years for assistance and resources to local communities that are impacted by PFAS contamination, aiding local fire departments in disposing of PFAS foam, and adding additional DNR staff to implement the Wisconsin PFAS Action Council’s action plan.
Listening Sessions On PFAS Contamination In Marinette & Peshtigo
WHEN: Wednesday, May 19, 2021, Noon – 2 p.m. and 6 – 7:30 p.m.
WHO: Christine Haag – DNR Remediation and Redevelopment Program Director
Bridget Kelly – DNR Remediation and Redevelopment Program PFAS Team Leader
Alyssa Sellwood – DNR Remediation and Redevelopment Program Project Manager
Kyle Burton – DNR Drinking and Groundwater Field Operations Director
Brita Kilburg-Basnyat – DHS Toxicologist
WHERE: Join via Zoom here: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88268945061
Join by phone: 312-626-6799; Meeting ID: 882 6894 5061
- Environmental Groups Seek to Intervene in PFAS Case - Danielle Kaeding - Jun 15th, 2021
- Conservation voters urge expansion of clean water protections - Wisconsin Conservation Voters - May 20th, 2021
- DNR Hosts Virtual Listening Sessions On PFAS Contamination In Marinette & Peshtigo On May 19 - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - May 18th, 2021
- AG Kaul Leads 19 AGs in Urging EPA to Require Public Water Systems to Monitor for Additional PFAS - Josh Kaul - May 10th, 2021
- Peshtigo Residents Faced “Massive” PFAS Contamination - John McCracken - May 7th, 2021
- Evers, Democrats Push PFAS Contamination Bill - Hope Kirwan - Apr 22nd, 2021
- Gov. Evers, State Legislators Announce Legislation to Address Statewide PFAS Contamination - Gov. Tony Evers - Apr 21st, 2021
- State Officials Push Action on PFAS - Shamane Mills - Apr 20th, 2021
- PFAS In Wisconsin Webinar 2 p.m. April 19 - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Apr 16th, 2021
- New Fish Consumption Advisory For Silver Creek - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Apr 15th, 2021
Read more about PFAS Problem here