An Historic Response to an Historic Election
Statement of Common Council President Cavalier Johnson November 4, 2020
The City of Milwaukee put forth an historic infrastructure this election to ensure that all residents could vote safely and securely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Election Commission’s staff, led by Executive Director Claire Woodall-Vogg, put together a Central Count operation that worked efficiently – over multiple shifts – to count ballots completely and accurately. I worked a shift at Central Count and was proud to see firsthand how the operation worked smoothly to ensure all votes were counted in a timely fashion.
Unlike many other states, Wisconsin municipalities are barred from tabulating votes prior to Election Day. I continue to push state legislators to change this law so that we can improve our ability to provide timely election results. This will become increasingly unsustainable as more residents cast absentee ballots, and it limits our ability to get results out by Election Day.
I thank the thousands of Milwaukee residents who made their voices heard this election, including the 169,519 voters who exercised their right to vote via absentee ballot, early in person, or by utilizing the United States Postal Service or drop off box. We know that this historic election is not yet over, and I wait with you patiently for each and every vote cast by Election Day to be counted.
- Back in the News: Johnson Privately Concedes Biden Won - Bruce Murphy - Dec 2nd, 2020
- Kaul Blasts Republicans Disputing Election - Melanie Conklin - Dec 2nd, 2020
- State Elections Commission Gets Testy - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 1st, 2020
- Sidney Powell Files Suit to Overturn State Election - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 1st, 2020
- Trump Lawsuit Would Throw Out Only Milwaukee and Dane County Votes - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 1st, 2020
- Op Ed: Stop Blaming People of Color - Angela Lang - Nov 30th, 2020
- State Declares Biden Won Election - Graham Kilmer - Nov 30th, 2020
- Recount Reaffirms that Wisconsin Voters Picked Joe Biden - A Better Wisconsin Together - Nov 30th, 2020
- Wisconsin Recount Grows Biden’s Margin, But Trump Says Fight Isn’t Over - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 29th, 2020
- Trump Promises Lawsuit Challenging Wisconsin Election Results - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 29th, 2020
Read more about 2020 General Election here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Common Council President Cavalier Johnson
Statement of Common Council President Cavalier Johnson November 23, 2020
Statement of Common Council President Cavalier Johnson November 11, 2020