Two Wisconsin Men Charged in Capitol Riot
FBI charges Brandon Nelson and Abram Markofski with entering Capitol.
Two Wisconsin men have been arrested and charged with entering the U.S. Capitol during the Jan. 6 insurrection.
Brandon Nelson, of Dane County, and Abram Markofski, of La Crosse County, have been charged with four counts, including entering and remaining in a restricted building and disorderly or disruptive conduct in a restricted building or grounds.
According to a sworn statement from the FBI, an anonymous tipster told the agency the day after the insurrection Nelson had been inside the U.S. Capitol on Jan 6.
The FBI said Nelson later told agents he and Markofski drove from Madison to Washington on Jan 5, arriving there the morning of Jan. 6. Nelson told the FBI they attended former President Donald Trump‘s speech outside the White House that day before they walked to the Capitol.
The FBI said it was able to confirm Markofski was inside the Capitol by tracking his cell phone location data, which it obtained from Google through a search warrant. The Google data showed Markofski’s phone was at least partially within the U.S. Capitol between 2:15 p.m. and 3:41 p.m. Jan. 6.
Both men admitted to entering the Capitol. Nelson said some police officers were guiding people into the building. Markofski said a police officer inside the building told them they should leave for their own safety.
Markowski is a member of the Army National Guard, where a spokesperson confirmed he enlisted in July 2019.
“He is under no prohibition at this time,” Crocker said.
A spokesperson for the Guard declined to discuss the case, saying that as a matter of policy, it could not discuss personnel matters.
In the early days after the insurrection, NPR reported a disproportionate number of those arrested were military veterans.
Listen to the WPR report here.
2 Wisconsin Men Charged With Entering US Capitol During Jan. 6 Insurrection was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Two Wisconsin Men Charged in Capitol Riot - Shawn Johnson - May 4th, 2021
- Kleefisch To Be Closing Act For Jan. 6th Conspiracy Theorist Keynote Address - Democratic Governors Association - Apr 14th, 2021
- Rebecca Kleefisch & Ron Johnson Share Stage With Speaker Who Called Capitol Attack “Staged” - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Apr 14th, 2021
- Senator Ron Johnson Thanks Tom Nelson for Billboard near Mansion that Calls out his Racism - Tom Nelson - Mar 21st, 2021
- Sen. Warnock Offers to Help Johnson - Ruth Conniff - Mar 21st, 2021
- Op Ed: Boycott the Uline Corporation - Matt Rothschild - Mar 14th, 2021
- American Bridge 21st Century Calls on Ron Johnson to Resign Over Racist January 6 Comments - American Bridge 21st Century - Mar 12th, 2021
- Tiffany Pushed Election Lies, Report Notes - Henry Redman - Mar 6th, 2021
- Johnson Presses Capitol Police, Architect of the Capitol, for Information Regarding Capitol Breach - U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson - Feb 28th, 2021
- Back in the News: Bipartisan Bashing of Ron Johnson - Bruce Murphy - Feb 24th, 2021
Read more about Chaos at the Capitol here