Wisconsin Reacts To Biden Victory
Gov. Evers says "we're returning kindness, respect, and compassion back to the White House."
After former Vice President Joe Biden was announced the winner of the 2020 presidential election, Wisconsin elected officials, political leaders and residents shared their reaction to the news.
People were dancing and cheering in the streets of Madison, a city that heavily favors Democrats, as car after car honked their horns in celebration.
Alma Princip, a Madison resident who was playing “We Are The Champions” from a speaker on a street corner in east Madison said she was thrilled, adding it feels like “liberation day 1945.”
“I was just hanging out at home and then I heard screaming, cheering and honking, and I thought, ‘Oh no, is this what’s going on,'” Princip said. “I ran out and everybody was clapping and banging instruments.”
Matthew Banks, a Madison resident, who was cheering and dancing on a street corner on the east side of Madison, said he felt enormous relief when he heard the news and felt “joy that we finally got our act together to do the right thing.”
“I hope we can all come together,” he said. “I hope we can somehow put this awful four years of misinformation and bullying and all of the negative stuff aside and just come together because we’ve got a lot of stuff to do.”
The news comes a day after Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, said in a statement that he had called for an investigation of Wisconsin’s election days after preliminary results showed President Donald Trump losing the state to Joe Biden by fewer than 21,000 votes.
A representative from Vos’s office was not immediately available for comment.
A spokesperson for Sen. Ron Johnson‘s office could not immediately be reached for comment.
Wisconsin Reacts To Biden Victory was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- New Lawsuit Challenges Election Drop Boxes, Wants Election Thrown Out - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 27th, 2020
- Milwaukee County Completes Recount - George Christenson - Nov 27th, 2020
- Milwaukee County Recount Finished, Dane County Continuing - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 27th, 2020
- Counting Effectively Completed, Milwaukee County Recount Will Finish on Friday - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 25th, 2020
- Milwaukee County Recount Back on Schedule - George Christenson - Nov 25th, 2020
- Tempers Flare, Monty Python Crack Offered at Recount - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 25th, 2020
- Recount an Insult to Minority Voters? - Isiah Holmes - Nov 25th, 2020
- Trump Allies Sue To Throw Out Wisconsin Election - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 24th, 2020
- Early Recount Has Small Gain for Trump - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 24th, 2020
- Op Ed: Republican Slams Party for State Recount - James Wigderson - Nov 24th, 2020
Read more about 2020 General Election here