Wisconsin Reacts To Biden Victory
Gov. Evers says "we're returning kindness, respect, and compassion back to the White House."
After former Vice President Joe Biden was announced the winner of the 2020 presidential election, Wisconsin elected officials, political leaders and residents shared their reaction to the news.
People were dancing and cheering in the streets of Madison, a city that heavily favors Democrats, as car after car honked their horns in celebration.
Alma Princip, a Madison resident who was playing “We Are The Champions” from a speaker on a street corner in east Madison said she was thrilled, adding it feels like “liberation day 1945.”
“I was just hanging out at home and then I heard screaming, cheering and honking, and I thought, ‘Oh no, is this what’s going on,'” Princip said. “I ran out and everybody was clapping and banging instruments.”
Matthew Banks, a Madison resident, who was cheering and dancing on a street corner on the east side of Madison, said he felt enormous relief when he heard the news and felt “joy that we finally got our act together to do the right thing.”
“I hope we can all come together,” he said. “I hope we can somehow put this awful four years of misinformation and bullying and all of the negative stuff aside and just come together because we’ve got a lot of stuff to do.”
The news comes a day after Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, said in a statement that he had called for an investigation of Wisconsin’s election days after preliminary results showed President Donald Trump losing the state to Joe Biden by fewer than 21,000 votes.
A representative from Vos’s office was not immediately available for comment.
A spokesperson for Sen. Ron Johnson‘s office could not immediately be reached for comment.
Wisconsin Reacts To Biden Victory was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Spindell Gets Second Term on Elections Commission - Henry Redman - Apr 30th, 2021
- A Tale of Two Elections - Melanie Conklin - Apr 26th, 2021
- Elections Commission Head Saw No Problems in Green Bay - Megan Hart - Mar 31st, 2021
- ‘Kraken’ Lawsuits Not Based on Facts - Graham Kilmer - Mar 23rd, 2021
- Republicans Attack Zuckerberg Election Grants Again - Shawn Johnson - Mar 11th, 2021
- Supreme Court Brushes Off Trump Election Challenge - Graham Kilmer - Mar 8th, 2021
- U.S. Supreme Court Rejects Wisconsin ‘Kraken’ Suit - Graham Kilmer - Mar 1st, 2021
- Op Ed: Waukesha Republicans’ Pillow Paranoia - James Wigderson - Feb 25th, 2021
- Spindell Can Vote on Whether to Investigate Himself - Henry Redman - Feb 17th, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: 10 Republicans Accused of Voter Fraud - Bruce Murphy - Feb 16th, 2021
Read more about 2020 General Election here