Vos Calls for Probe of State Election
Cites concerns about voter fraud, offers no evidence.
The Republican speaker of the state Assembly is calling for an investigation of Wisconsin’s election days after preliminary results showed President Donald Trump losing the state to Joe Biden by fewer than 21,000 votes.
Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, said in a statement Friday that he had directed the Assembly Committee on Campaigns and Elections to conduct the investigation using subpoena powers to call witnesses.
“With concerns surfacing about mail-In ballot dumps and voter fraud, Wisconsin citizens deserve to know their vote counted,” Vos said in a statement that did not offer specifics or evidence.
He continued: “There should be no question as to whether the vote was fair and legitimate, and there must be absolute certainty that the impending recount finds any and all irregularities.”
Assembly Minority Leader Gordon Hintz, D-Oshkosh, said he’s always open to finding ways to improve elections, but questioned the intent of the investigation and Vos’ assertions.
“They seem to be fitting in with other lines that have been used in the past to undermine credibility and trust in high turnout in some of our biggest cities,” Hintz said. “It’s hard to look at this any other way.”
The Wisconsin Elections Commission, which could soon be tasked with overseeing a recount, said in a brief statement that it would work with the committee if asked.
“We are confident in Wisconsin’s election processes and look forward to providing any information requested by the Legislature,” said commission spokesman Reid Magney.
Many of the president’s criticisms of the election have focused on the influx of absentee ballots in this year’s election as more and more voters decided to vote by mail instead of at the polls because of COVID-19.
Election officials signaled that it would take longer than usual to count those ballots this year. In Wisconsin, the count was nearly final around 6 a.m. on the Wednesday after Election Day.
Assembly Speaker Calls For Investigation Of Wisconsin Election was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Counting Effectively Completed, Milwaukee County Recount Will Finish on Friday - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 25th, 2020
- Milwaukee County Recount Back on Schedule - George Christenson - Nov 25th, 2020
- Tempers Flare, Monty Python Crack Offered at Recount - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 25th, 2020
- Recount an Insult to Minority Voters? - Isiah Holmes - Nov 25th, 2020
- Trump Allies Sue To Throw Out Wisconsin Election - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 24th, 2020
- Early Recount Has Small Gain for Trump - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 24th, 2020
- Op Ed: Republican Slams Party for State Recount - James Wigderson - Nov 24th, 2020
- City Finds 386 Sealed Ballots In a Box - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 24th, 2020
- Trump Campaign Objects to Over 160,000 County Ballots - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 23rd, 2020
- Recount Releases First Results - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 23rd, 2020
Read more about 2020 General Election here