Vos Calls for Probe of State Election
Cites concerns about voter fraud, offers no evidence.
The Republican speaker of the state Assembly is calling for an investigation of Wisconsin’s election days after preliminary results showed President Donald Trump losing the state to Joe Biden by fewer than 21,000 votes.
Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, said in a statement Friday that he had directed the Assembly Committee on Campaigns and Elections to conduct the investigation using subpoena powers to call witnesses.
“With concerns surfacing about mail-In ballot dumps and voter fraud, Wisconsin citizens deserve to know their vote counted,” Vos said in a statement that did not offer specifics or evidence.
He continued: “There should be no question as to whether the vote was fair and legitimate, and there must be absolute certainty that the impending recount finds any and all irregularities.”
Assembly Minority Leader Gordon Hintz, D-Oshkosh, said he’s always open to finding ways to improve elections, but questioned the intent of the investigation and Vos’ assertions.
“They seem to be fitting in with other lines that have been used in the past to undermine credibility and trust in high turnout in some of our biggest cities,” Hintz said. “It’s hard to look at this any other way.”
The Wisconsin Elections Commission, which could soon be tasked with overseeing a recount, said in a brief statement that it would work with the committee if asked.
“We are confident in Wisconsin’s election processes and look forward to providing any information requested by the Legislature,” said commission spokesman Reid Magney.
Many of the president’s criticisms of the election have focused on the influx of absentee ballots in this year’s election as more and more voters decided to vote by mail instead of at the polls because of COVID-19.
Election officials signaled that it would take longer than usual to count those ballots this year. In Wisconsin, the count was nearly final around 6 a.m. on the Wednesday after Election Day.
Assembly Speaker Calls For Investigation Of Wisconsin Election was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Vos Says 2020 Election Was ‘Tainted’ - Laurel White - Oct 19th, 2021
- Election Probe Testimony Postponed - Laurel White - Oct 14th, 2021
- Attorney General Kaul Statement on Election “Investigation” by Former Supreme Court Justice Gableman - Wisconsin Department of Justice - Oct 11th, 2021
- Judge Orders Election Probe Records Released - Laurel White - Oct 9th, 2021
- City Hall: Milwaukee Will Comply With Subpoenas, But City Attorney Won’t Say How - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 7th, 2021
- Mayor Barrett Is Latest Official Subpoenaed In Election Probe - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 6th, 2021
- Election Officials Receive Subpoenas in Election Probe - Christine Hatfield - Oct 3rd, 2021
- What’s The Status of State Election Probes? - Laurel White - Sep 22nd, 2021
- Gableman Threatens to Subpoena Election Clerks - Madeline Fox - Sep 21st, 2021
- Will Donors Punish Legislators Pushing Election Lies? - Melanie Conklin - Sep 14th, 2021
Read more about 2020 General Election here