Groups Challenge Legality of Foxconn’s Water Diversion
Argues the DNR made a mistake in approving the water diversion.
Great Lakes groups have filed a legal challenge to Wisconsin’s approval of a water diversion plan needed to run the Foxconn liquid crystal display factory being built in Racine County.
The state Department of Natural Resources approved a proposal last month that would allow Racine to take 7 million gallons of water a day from Lake Michigan, to be piped to the plant. Most of the water would go back to the lake after being treated in Racine’s wastewater plant.
Attorney Jodi Habush Sinykin, of Midwest Environmental Advocates, said the legal action filed Friday afternoon argues the DNR made a mistake by disregarding a requirement that diversions be for public water supply purposes, which she said is clearly defined as “serving a group of largely residential customers.”
“The integrity of the (Great Lakes Water Diversion Compact of 2008) is being tested by this misinterpretation, and we believe the compact is important enough to fight for,” she said.
Habush Sinykin said having an administrative law judge in Wisconsin hear the case is a step allowed under the compact.
Gov. Scott Walker has repeatedly said Foxconn’s water diversion wouldn’t harm Lake Michigan.
Groups File Legal Challenge To Water Diversion Plan For Foxconn Facility was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- State Reviewing Foxconn Jobs Report - Erik Gunn - Jul 23rd, 2020
- Foxconn Hosts Smart Manufacturing Web Conference, Launches iAI Institute - Foxconn Technology Group - Jul 10th, 2020
- Foxconn Will Make 10K Ventilators - Corri Hess - Jun 19th, 2020
- Medtronic and Foxconn Partner to Increase Ventilator Production - Foxconn Technology Group - Jun 18th, 2020
- Foxconn Audit Delayed Two Months - Erik Gunn - Jun 3rd, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn’s Profits Plunge By 90% - Bruce Murphy - May 19th, 2020
- Foxconn to Assemble Procedural Masks in Wisconsin for Pandemic Relief - Foxconn Technology Group - Apr 20th, 2020
- Murphy’s Law: Foxconn Squeezes Evers - Bruce Murphy - Apr 15th, 2020
- Foxconn Says It Earned Tax Credits - Corri Hess - Apr 9th, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn Plant Will Make Ventilators - Bruce Murphy - Apr 8th, 2020
Read more about Foxconn Facility here