212 N. Milwaukee St. is a 500-stall parking garage in the Historic Third Ward. The Parking garage is controlled by the Historic Third Ward Business Improvement District. The land under the garage is owned by Johnson Controls. The land was formerly a parking lot.
Under a complex transaction involving multiple parking garages, Johnson Controls gets 192 spaces for free during daytime business hours in exchange for leasing the land to the Third Ward Business Improvement District.
The garage was built in 1994 for a cost of $5.5 million.
As of August 2014, monthly parking is available starting at $130.
The garage includes a 4,375 square-feet, first-floor restaurant stall along E. Chicago St (408 E. Chicago St.). As of August 2012 the space is currently occupied by Kanpai, a Japanese restaurant, owned by Taikyo “Brian” Park. Previously it was home to Nankusa, also a Japanese restaurant. Nakusa closed on March 1st, 2011, having opened in February 2001.
- “On Sake Ground” – Milwaukee Magazine – Ann Christensen – October 21st, 2012
- “Nakusa closing for good” – OnMilwaukee.com – March 1st, 2011
- “Some bright spots blaze way through dark year” – Milwaukee Journal Sentinel – Nick Carter – January 4th, 2002
- “New Parking Ramp Drives Home Urban Transit Dilemma” – Milwaukee Journal – Phil Nero – June 27th, 1994
- “City, form reach deal on garage, building” – Milwaukee Sentinel – Larry Sandler – April 1st, 1994
~~Test emergency lighting system and keep report
~~Provide maintenance of required fire-rated const
Sidewalk Area Dining Facilities- it shall be unlawful for any person to use the public right-of-way as a sidewalk area dining facility without first obtaining a permit therefore. The application and annual space rental fee for sidewalk area dining facilities shall be as specified in s. 81-106.7. YOU ARE HEREBY ORDERED TO OBTAIN A SIDEWALK AREA DINING FACILITIES PERMIT OR DISCONTINUE THE USE OF THE PUBLIC RIGHT-OF-WAY. / 115-32.6 /
WI REG #21650Keep written record of oil usage, loss and emptied