Youth Council recommends $138,755 for Milwaukee youth programs
The City of Milwaukee Youth Council has recommended the allocation of $138,755 in Community Development Block Grant funding to six agencies.
The City of Milwaukee Youth Council has recommended the allocation of $138,755 in Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding to six agencies that will use the money for initiatives ranging from leadership development, expungement services and job skills training, to reducing crime and preparing Milwaukee youths for their futures.
The allocations were recommended following agency presentations that took place Monday, June 20, 2016 during a regular meeting of the Youth Council at City Hall. During that meeting, agencies presented details about their proposals and answered questions posed by Youth Council members.
The funding recommendations will now go to the Common Council’s Community & Economic Development Committee and later to the full Council for a final vote.
The recommendations were:
- $30,000 to the Center for Self Sufficiency to fund a summer mentorship program focused on personal development through experimental learning and healthy relationships education.
- $33,755 to Clean Slate to provide legal expungement services that can open the door for new opportunities.
- $25,000 to Grateful Girls, Inc. to educate and empower young women through internships with local businesses.
- $15,000 to Riverworks Development Corp. to hire youth ambassadors from the 53212 ZIP code to improve the safety, cleanliness and attractiveness of commercial corridors.
- $15,000 to Running Rebels, Inc. to provide leadership training during out-of-school and summer time programs.
- $20,000 to Wisconsin Community Services, Inc. to provide career counseling and job training to youth at risk of becoming involved with gangs and to former gang members.
Follow the Youth Council on Twitter @mkeyouthcouncil or via the MYC Facebook page at www.facebook.com/mkeyouthcouncil/.
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by City of Milwaukee Youth Council
Applications for agencies interested in CDBG funding to be used for programs and projects benefiting city youths are due no later than 4 p.m. on Friday, October 13.
The allocation recommendations will be forwarded to the Common Council’s Community and Economic Development Committee.
The Community and Economic Development Committee today signed off on the Milwaukee Youth Council’s recommended funding allocations totaling $73,960 in Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) reprogramming funds for youth-oriented programming.