Wisconsin natives inducted to MPL Writers Wall of Fame
Milwaukee Public Library’s Wisconsin Writers Wall of Fame to induct two state natives: children’s author/illustrator Kevin Henkes and author/filmmaker Richard Schickel.
Sunday, October 14, 2012, 2 p.m. Central Library, 814 West Wisconsin Avenue
WHAT: Milwaukee Public Library’s Wisconsin Writers Wall of Fame Induction
- Ceremony hosted by Friends of the Milwaukee Public Library to induct two Wisconsin natives: children’s author/illustrator Kevin Henkes and author/filmmaker Richard Schickel.
- Following the program, there will be a reception in the Richard E. & Lucile Krug Rare Books Room on the library’s second floor where the inductees will autograph books, which may be brought to the event by attendees and will also be available for purchase on-site from Boswell Book Company.
- The event is free and open to the public.
WHEN: Sunday, October 14, 2012, 2 p.m.
WHERE: Central Library, 814 West Wisconsin Avenue, inside of the Wisconsin Avenue entrance.
WHO: Both honorees—Kevin Henkes and Richard Schickel—will be in attendance.
- While the program will be oriented to an adult audience, Kevin Henkes’ young fans are welcome to attend.
- Children’s author/illustrator and previous Wall of Fame inductee Lois Ehlert will introduce Kevin Henkes.
· Robert Yeo, chairman and associate professor of the Department of Film, Video, Animation & New Genres at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee’s Peck School of the Arts, will introduce Richard Schickel.
- Library Director Paula Kiely and Friends of the Milwaukee Public Library president Marsha Huff will also speak.
WHY: The Library’s Wall of Fame pays tribute to a spectrum of literary talents — novelists, poets, journalists, playwrights, historians — whose work has been influenced by their life and experiences in Wisconsin.
- The 2012 inductees were chosen by a committee comprised of Library staff, local academicians, and community advisers to honor Wisconsin writers whose work will stand the test of time.
- Both writers have new books in 2012: Henkes published “Penny and Her Song” in February 2012 and, on October 2, “Steven Spielberg: A Retrospective” by Richard Schickel with forward by Steven Spielberg will be released.
- First unveiled in 1997, twenty-four others grace the Wall of Fame: Thornton Wilder, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Carl Sandburg, Ellen Raskin, Sterling North, Lorine Niedecker, John Muir, Aldo Leopold, Hamlin Garland, Zona Gale, Edna Ferber, August Derleth, Marguerite Henry, Lois Ehlert, John Gurda, Frederick Jackson Turner, Francis Paul Prucha, S.J., Frederic Cassidy, Stephen Ambrose, John Koethe, David Maraniss, Jane Hamilton, Margot Peters and A. Manette Ansay.
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Milwaukee Public Library
Milwaukee Public Library to Kick Off "MKE Big Read" Saturday, April 8.
Milwaukee Public Library Enters into Historic Partnership with MPS to Give 65,000 Students Digital Library CardsMar 6th, 2017 by Milwaukee Public Library
LibraryNow offers complete digital access to MPL resources to every MPS student