U.S. Senator Baldwin Announces Support for Agriculture Secretary Nominee Sonny Perdue, Pushes Trump Administration to Act on Restrictive Canadian Trade Barriers
Level the playing field for our hardworking Wisconsin dairy farmers
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin announced she will vote for Sonny Perdue for Secretary of the Department of Agriculture (USDA) today. Senator Baldwin also encouraged Perdue to visit Wisconsin and called for the Trump Administration to act on restrictive Canadian trade barriers that are hurting American dairy farmers and processors.
“I’m pleased to vote for Agriculture Secretary nominee Sonny Perdue today and I look forward to working together to strengthen Wisconsin’s agricultural economy and our rural communities,” said Senator Baldwin. “The first order of business is for the new Agriculture Secretary and the Trump Administration to act on restrictive Canadian trade barriers that are hurting American dairy farmers and processors. We need to make sure that Canada rescinds their unfair policy and plays by the rules. The Administration should also act immediately to assist impacted farmers directly. Following his confirmation, I encourage Secretary Perdue to come to Wisconsin to talk with our hardworking Wisconsin dairy farmers who need a level playing field. I stand as a willing partner to work with Secretary Perdue and President Trump to address this urgent issue. Dairy farmers should not have their businesses ruined and lives upended as a result of this unfair trade practice.”
Senator Baldwin has been sounding the alarm since last September about Canada’s trade barriers and how they are harming Wisconsin dairy farms:
- September 2, 2016: Senator Baldwin first called for a federal investigation into these Canadian trade barriers.
- January 28, 2017: Senator Baldwin visited a dairy farm in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin to meet with dairy farmers and processors to seek input on the nomination of Sonny Perdue and learn about the impact of Canada’s trade barriers.
- February 2, 2017: Senator Baldwin met with nominee Perdue and discussed the need to address unfair Canadian trade barriers.
- March 28, 2017: Senator Baldwin pressed President Trump to address the situation in trade discussions with Canada.
- April 12, 2017: Senator Baldwin called on Acting U.S. Trade Representative Stephen Vaughn, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross and Acting Secretary of Agriculture Michael Young to immediately address this issue with the Canadian government. Senator Baldwin also joined a letter with the entire Wisconsin Congressional delegation.
- April 13, 2017: Senator Baldwin visited a dairy farm in Elk Mound, Wisconsin to meet with the Professional Dairy Producers of Wisconsin and discuss potential solutions.
Recent Press Releases by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Helps Introduce Legislation to Give Control of Credit Information Back to Consumers, Protect Personal Data Following Equifax HackSep 21st, 2017 by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
"Consumer protection should be more important than profit."
U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Supports Reform to Increase Access to Affordable, High-Quality Child Care and PreschoolSep 19th, 2017 by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin helped introduce legislation to expand access to affordable, high-quality child care and preschool for Wisconsin families.
"Today, I will vote in favor of this defense authorization legislation because it makes important investments to strengthen our national security and support the health and well being of our service members and their families"