Safety improvements throughout Milwaukee County
Some ramp closures to occur in overnight hours
On Wednesday, June 21, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is scheduled to begin a series of surface treatments at several locations throughout Milwaukee County. To minimize impact to the traveling public, work will take place during the evening-to-early morning hours. To facilitate work in these locations, lane closures and some ramp closures will be necessary.
- I-94 Westbound Bridge over WIS 175 (Stadium Interchange)
- Beginning June 21
- I-43/I-94 Southbound Bridge over National Ave., Walker and Mineral streets.
- I-43/I-94 Northbound On-ramp Bridge over National Ave., Walker and Mineral streets.
- Beginning early July
- I-41 Northbound Bridge over Burleigh Street
- I-41 Southbound Bridge over Burleigh Street
- Beginning mid-July
Crashes in these areas are above the statewide average. The locations’ roadways and structures will receive either a friction surface treatment or polymer overlay. These specially-engineered pavement overlays provide a rougher texture and have the following benefits.
- Reduce crashes, injuries and fatalities
- Relatively low in cost compared to geometric improvements
- Produce negligible environmental impacts
- Short installation time has minimal impact on traffic
The contractor, Michels Corp., plans on completing work in each location within one or two weeks. Some noise is associated with this operation. The schedule of work is weather dependent and subject to change.
Recent Press Releases by Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Preliminary total of 52 Wisconsin traffic deaths last month make it tied for the safest August since World War IISep 7th, 2017 by Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Through the first eight months of this year, a total of 396 people have died in Wisconsin traffic crashes.
July was the deadliest month on Wisconsin roads this year, prompting transportation safety officials to issue a “call to action” urging all motorists to be safe/responsible
Includes Expressway Policing Aids to the Milwaukee County Sheriff Department for patrol of Milwaukee expressways.