Ribbon-cuttings set for new MPS athletic fields
Rebuilt South Stadium, renovated Custer Stadium part of district effort to strengthen athletic opportunities
MILWAUKEE (September 9, 2015) – Milwaukee Public Schools student athletes, district leaders and community members will come together Friday to cut the ribbons at two new MPS athletic fields, celebrating new opportunities for student athletes that enhance the MPS experience.
Ribbon-cutting events are set for:
- Approximately 5:30 p.m. (halftime of the 4:30 p.m. football game) at Custer Stadium, immediately southwest of MPS’ Barack Obama School of Career and Technical Education, 5075 N. Sherman Boulevard, Milwaukee 53209; Rufus King International High School will be taking on North Division High School
- Approximately 7 p.m. (halftime of the 6 p.m. football game) at South Stadium, adjacent to MPS’ Hayes Bilingual School, 971 W. Windlake Avenue, Milwaukee 53204; Pulaski High School will be taking on South Division High School
- Expanding student access to team sports: Three new varsity football teams are on the field for 2015-16 — North Division High School, Barack Obama School of Career and Technical Education and Ronald Reagan College Preparatory High School
- Expanding access to Certified Athletic Trainers in multiple sports, including a grant from the Green Bay Packers and the NFL for football trainers
About Milwaukee Public Schools
Milwaukee Public Schools is committed to accelerating student achievement, building positive relationships between youth and adults and cultivating leadership at all levels. The district’s commitment to improvement continues to show results:
- More MPS students are meeting reading standards
- The MPS Class of 2015 earned $39 million in scholarships; and
- MPS is home to 7 of the state’s top high schools according to U.S. News and World Report and the Washington Post.
Press Releases by Milwaukee Public Schools
Community invited for tours, robot demonstrations and to meet MPS' award-winning robotics team.
Milwaukee Public Schools, City of Milwaukee, Milwaukee Police Department, and Milwaukee Bucks to announce the return of Midnight Basketball LeagueFeb 6th, 2017 by Milwaukee Public Schools
Milwaukee Public Schools will host three 10-week Midnight Leagues at Bradley Tech.
Milwaukee Public Schools hosts Enrollment Fair to help families select schools and enroll for Fall 2017Jan 26th, 2017 by Milwaukee Public Schools
Representatives from all district schools will be present to showcase programs and answer questions; families can enroll on site
School board’s actions reduced benefits liability projections by $3.63 billion over last eight yearsJan 18th, 2017 by Milwaukee Public Schools
Changes in funding allow Milwaukee Public Schools to direct more funds to students