Ribbon-cuttings set for new MPS athletic fields
Rebuilt South Stadium, renovated Custer Stadium part of district effort to strengthen athletic opportunities
MILWAUKEE (September 9, 2015) – Milwaukee Public Schools student athletes, district leaders and community members will come together Friday to cut the ribbons at two new MPS athletic fields, celebrating new opportunities for student athletes that enhance the MPS experience.
Ribbon-cutting events are set for:
- Approximately 5:30 p.m. (halftime of the 4:30 p.m. football game) at Custer Stadium, immediately southwest of MPS’ Barack Obama School of Career and Technical Education, 5075 N. Sherman Boulevard, Milwaukee 53209; Rufus King International High School will be taking on North Division High School
- Approximately 7 p.m. (halftime of the 6 p.m. football game) at South Stadium, adjacent to MPS’ Hayes Bilingual School, 971 W. Windlake Avenue, Milwaukee 53204; Pulaski High School will be taking on South Division High School
- Expanding student access to team sports: Three new varsity football teams are on the field for 2015-16 — North Division High School, Barack Obama School of Career and Technical Education and Ronald Reagan College Preparatory High School
- Expanding access to Certified Athletic Trainers in multiple sports, including a grant from the Green Bay Packers and the NFL for football trainers
About Milwaukee Public Schools
Milwaukee Public Schools is committed to accelerating student achievement, building positive relationships between youth and adults and cultivating leadership at all levels. The district’s commitment to improvement continues to show results:
- More MPS students are meeting reading standards
- The MPS Class of 2015 earned $39 million in scholarships; and
- MPS is home to 7 of the state’s top high schools according to U.S. News and World Report and the Washington Post.
Press Releases by Milwaukee Public Schools
Students have the opportunity to enroll in the high school of their choice
District continues work to promote student achievement
Riverside and Rufus King will compete on Thursday, October 13 at 6:00 p.m.
District performance signals progress
Dr. Darienne Driver assumes leadership position with national coalition of nation's largest urban public schools
Career-readiness program coming to four MPS high schools; gala September 28 at Discovery World