North 27th Street Construction Project Begins August 21, 2013
Project expected to be completed by December 2013
Beginning Wednesday, August 21, the City of Milwaukee in conjunction with the State of Wisconsin Department of Transportation will reconstruct North 27th Street from W. St. Paul Avenue to W. Highland Boulevard. The project will take place in two stages and includes:
- A new concrete roadway narrowed from 52 feet to 50 feet between St. Paul and Wisconsin avenues. This will match the existing 50-foot width of roadway north of Wisconsin Ave.
- A shared 13-foot parking/bicycle lane and a 12-foot driving lane in each direction.
- Curb, gutter, driveway approaches and sidewalks replaced.
- Harp lights which will replace the current light fixtures. The existing cobra fixtures will be upgraded to Milwaukee lantern fixtures.
- Improvements to Wisconsin Avenue with new concrete, curbs, gutters, sidewalks, and decorative crosswalks.
Stage One begins August 21 and is expected to conclude in mid October 2013. Traffic will be affected as follows:
- The northbound lanes (east side of N. 27th St.) will be closed
- The southbound lanes (west side of N. 27th St.) will be one-way only for southbound traffic
- Detour route for northbound traffic begins at St. Paul Ave.: Right turn (east) to N. 26th St. – left turn (north) onto N. 26th St. to W. Clybourn St. – right turn (east) onto Clybourn to N. 16th St. – left turn (north) onto N. 16th St. to W. Highland Blvd – left turn (west) on Highland Blvd. back to 27th St.
- Wisconsin Avenue – One lane of traffic will be open in each direction.
There will be no on-street parking on 27th Street during construction. Parking will be available on side streets.
Milwaukee County Transit System (MCTS) bus service will be maintained, with northbound bus access moving to N. 26th Street.
An update will be provided when Stage Two begins in mid October 2013.
Press Releases Referencing City of Milwaukee
Apr 3rd, 2016 by City of Milwaukee
Bringing Fresh, Quality Food To the Corner of Dr. Martin Luther King Drive and North Avenue
Dec 18th, 2015 by City of Milwaukee
Residents may buy their 2016 annual or 4-month and first trimester permits now
Nov 25th, 2015 by City of Milwaukee
Items Collected to Support Local Veterans and Families
Oct 27th, 2015 by City of Milwaukee
Water, Year-Round Activity Featured Among Ideas
Milwaukee’s Lakefront Gateway Plaza National Competition Culminates with the Selection of a Design TeamOct 26th, 2015 by City of Milwaukee
Announcement Tuesday Advances Important Downtown Project
Aug 10th, 2015 by City of Milwaukee
News release from City Clerk Jim Owczarski