More MPS high schools make national top school lists
District again takes state's top two Washington Post spots; MPS also home two of the state's U.S. News top 10
MILWAUKEE (April 19, 2016) – Eight MPS high schools have earned a spot on national top school lists from U.S. News and World Report and the Washington Post, according to the 2016 lists released this week, up from seven last year.
For the second straight year, Milwaukee Public Schools is home to the state’s top two schools on the Washington Post‘s list of America’s Most Challenging High Schools.
MPS is also home to two of Wisconsin’s 10 best high schools according to U.S. News and World Report.
The winning schools and their rankings among Wisconsin high schools on each list are:
- Milwaukee School of Languages: 1st, Washington Post; 25th, U.S. News
- Ronald Reagan College Preparatory High School: 2nd, U.S. News, 15th, Washington Post
- Carmen High School of Science and Technology-South Campus: 2nd, Washington Post
- Rufus King International High School: 8th, U.S. News; 13th, Washington Post
- Riverside University High School: 25th, Washington Post
- MacDowell Montessori School: 27th, Washington Post
- Alexander Hamilton High School: 30th, Washington Post
- Milwaukee High School of the Arts: 32nd, Washington Post
“We congratulate the students, families, educators and support staff who continue to achieve great things in our schools,” MPS Superintendent Dr. Darienne Driver. “As we reimagine high schools, we are replicating what is helping drive these successful schools.”
Those efforts include:
- Expanding International Baccalaureate programming
- Expanding access to Advanced Placement courses
- Expanding personalized learning labs
- Creating additional summer programs to prepare incoming 9th-grade students for high school
Rethinking high schools is one of MPS’ eight strategic objectives or “big ideas” to improve student outcomes. To learn more, visit mpsmke.com/strategicobjectives.
Press Releases by Milwaukee Public Schools
Milwaukee Public Schools, City of Milwaukee, Milwaukee Police Department, and Milwaukee Bucks to announce the return of Midnight Basketball LeagueFeb 6th, 2017 by Milwaukee Public Schools
Milwaukee Public Schools will host three 10-week Midnight Leagues at Bradley Tech.
Milwaukee Public Schools hosts Enrollment Fair to help families select schools and enroll for Fall 2017Jan 26th, 2017 by Milwaukee Public Schools
Representatives from all district schools will be present to showcase programs and answer questions; families can enroll on site
School board’s actions reduced benefits liability projections by $3.63 billion over last eight yearsJan 18th, 2017 by Milwaukee Public Schools
Changes in funding allow Milwaukee Public Schools to direct more funds to students
Secondary, IB and year round schools move to August start date
MPS Board Committee accepts early start calendar for high schools, middle schools and year-round schoolsDec 16th, 2016 by Milwaukee Public Schools
Committee asks administration to pursue further research and dialog regarding elementary school calendars
The sampling began in June 2016 and two independent, state-certified firms conducted the analysis.