MKE Business Now Entrepreneurship Summit back for a second year
Event showcases resources available to aspiring business owners.
With a successful debut a year ago that helped educate more than 200 Milwaukee residents about the resources available to help them start or grow a business, the MKE Business Now Entrepreneurship Summit returns this Saturday, January 26 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. The event is sponsored by Alderwoman Milele A. Coggs, and this year will take place at the Business and Economics Academy of Milwaukee, Inc.,
3620 N. 18th St.
In addition to a greater assortment of vendors offering tips and services, this year’s summit will also feature an expanded lineup of business panelists and more workshops on a variety of topics. Mayor Tom Barrett will also speak to participants.
“Using the feedback we received following last year’s event, we’ve been able to more finely tailor the summit to aspiring business owners’ needs,” Alderwoman Coggs said. “We’re excited to be able to offer a greater variety of vendors and speakers, and anticipate an even broader array of entrepreneurs and leaders networking with one another, sharing information and learning about or displaying new goods and services.”
Highlighting the summit is a panel discussion from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. with V.I.B.E.S. Multi-Media & Marketing owner Devon Dent, Goody Gourmets manager Jackie Chesser, Maures Development Group LLC founder and president Melissa Goins, WOO Connections principal consultant Genyne Edwards, J.D. and Coffee Makes You Black owner Bradley Thurman. The panel discussion will be moderated by 1290 WMCS Operations Manager TJ Jackson.
Workshops focused on growing and developing businesses begin at 10:45 a.m.
The topics featured this year include “Leveraging Funds for Your Business” (presented by the Milwaukee Economic Development Corporation), “Business 101” (presented by SCORE), “Turning Your Hobbies and Skills Into A Business” (presented by ReDonna Rodgers from the Center for Teaching Entrepreneurship), “Branding Your Business:
What You Need to Know” (presented by Ebony Ssali of Ssali Media) and IRS Webinar
Update for Small Business Owners (presented by Joan Jeselun).
Additionally, staff members will be on hand for questions and networking from organizations such as:
– The Metropolitan Milwaukee Association of Commerce
– Milwaukee Economic Development Corporation
– The Business Council – SCORE Southeast Wisconsin
– North Milwaukee State Bank – Small Business Administration
– City of Milwaukee Licensing Department
– Wisconsin Small Business Development Center Network
– Community Business Development Partners Milwaukee County
– The Center for Teaching Entrepreneurship
– Wisconsin Department of Children & Family Services
– African American Chamber of Commerce
– City of Milwaukee Health Department
– City of Milwaukee Board of Zoning & Appeals
– Seaway Bank – BizStarts
– City of Milwaukee Permit Office – Western Southern Life
– Milwaukee Energy Efficiency – Milwaukee Urban League
– Wisconsin Women’s Business Initiative Corp.
– Historic King Drive Business Improvement District
– Prism Technical Management & Marketing Services, LLC.
– Milwaukee Department of Neighborhood Services
– Legacy Redevelopment Corp.
“This event provides opportunities for any potential business owner to have access to all the necessary resources gathered in one place, as well as a chance for current business owners to network and maximize their small business,” Alderwoman Coggs said. “Establishing a business in Milwaukee can be both challenging and rewarding. This summit is one example of our community standing together to pool resources and knowledge to swiftly pursue opportunity through every available avenue. Entrepreneurship is one of the best traveled avenues available.”
The event is free and open to the general public, and begins at 10:00 a.m. with a showcase of various vendors’ and groups’ resources.
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Milele Coggs
This will be the fourth year of the work initiative.