Live and Legendary: Milwaukee Irish Fest to Welcome the Best in Celtic Music and Culture to the 37th Annual Festival
Milwaukee Irish Fest has something for everyone!
MILWAUKEE, Wis. (August 1, 2017) – The world’s largest celebration of Irish and Celtic music and culture, Milwaukee Irish Fest is back with a talent-packed lineup, August 17 – 20. Featuring performers from the renowned TradFest Temple Bar, up-and-coming contemporary groups and Celtic powerhouse Gaelic Storm opening the festival, Milwaukee Irish Fest has something for everyone!
2017 Festival Highlights
New This Year
- Entertainment: Milwaukee Irish Fest is excited to welcome Dublin’s world-renowned TradFest Temple Bar for its very first engagement on U.S. soil. Created in collaboration with the Dublin City Council, the TradFest Dublin Showcase will feature artists who have previously appeared at TradFest Temple Bar. The special showcase will include talents such as Aoife Scott, Goitse, Frankie Gavin, The Maguires, Dermot & Flo, The Young Folk, Paddy Keenan and Cúig.
Special shows include:
- Gaelic Storm Throwback Thursday show
- TradFest Dublin All-Stars show
- The Beatles – Celtic Style: We Banjo 3, Skerryvore and friends
- Culture: Northern Ireland author, Tony Macaulay, will launch the American publication of his memoir, Little House on the Peace Line, at Milwaukee Irish Fest. Macaulay will also appear in the Hedge School to discuss the work he and his wife do towards the reconciliation in Northern Ireland.
- Food & Spirits: Failte Ireland Food Ambassador, Chef Pádraic Óg Gallagher of Boxty House, Temple Bar, Dublin will share lively Irish stories, delicious food and recipes in the Celtic Kitchen. Also new to the festival, Mulligan’s Irish Pub will offer guests award-winning Irish Lamb Stew, Reuben Quesadilla and an Irish banger sandwich. Two new whiskeys, the Yellow Spot and Green Spot, will make their Milwaukee Irish Fest debut at The Jameson Lounge.
Milwaukee Irish Fest welcomes 15 new acts in 2017, including contemporary talents like The Young Folk, Hermitage Green and Brave Giant. Additional acts set to debut at Milwaukee Irish Fest include Celtica Pipes Rock, The East Pointers, The Fitzgerald’s, and Open the Door for Three. Several festival favorites will also make their return in 2017, including Gaelic Storm, We Banjo 3, JigJam, Skerryvore, Dervish and The High Kings.
Arts, Culture & More
The Cultural Village at Milwaukee Irish Fest features Celtic art, history, genealogy and shopping. Visitors will have the opportunity to meet authors at the Literary Corner, walk through exhibits showcasing Irish history, visit the Irish language area to learn simple Gaelic phrases, talk with research consultants in the Genealogy area or catch the new play, Galway Girl, in the theatre pavilion.
Fun for the Whole Family
From young to old, the festival holds something for all! Families can collect stamps for Pirate Paddy passports, catch daily parades, search for gold in the Leprechaun Village, and participate in highland games, crafts and mini-golf. Plus, festivalgoers can check out daily family entertainment at the Children’s Stages, including performances by fan favorite, Scythian.
Food & Spirits
In addition to the newest food and drinks at the festival, there is always classic Irish fare that is sure to hit the spot. Festivalgoers can sample traditional Irish stew, corned beef and cabbage or festival favorite, Gilles Jameson Frozen Custard.
Milwaukee Irish Fest features several sporting events to watch and try out, such as Tug-of-War competitions, currach races held in the lagoon, Gaelic football and hurling. Many offer demonstrations as a hands-on way to learn more about the Irish sports.
With eight gate promotions, Milwaukee Irish Fest offers lots of great ways to save! Gate promotions for 2017 include:
- Children’s Discount – Kids ages 12 and under are always free.
- Senior Citizens’ Discount – Seniors (60+) get $5 off general admission (regularly $20).
- Thursday Promotion – $5 general admission or free admission with a donation of school supplies for Hope House on Thursday, Aug. 17.
- Half-Price Friday – $10 general admission on Friday, Aug. 18.
- Arthritis Foundation Run/Walk to Milwaukee Irish Fest – Register for the 2017 Run/Walk to Milwaukee Irish Fest and receive free admission before 3 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 19.
- College Day – College students receive $3 off general admission with a valid student ID between 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 20.
- Military Day – Free admission for active, reserve, retired and guard military personnel plus one guest, with valid military ID on Sunday, Aug. 20.
- Fests Feed Milwaukee – Donate a non-perishable food item by 11 a.m. and receive free admission to the festival on Sunday, Aug. 20.
Two-Day Passes for Saturday and Sunday are also available and can be purchased online for only $30. To purchase advance tickets and to learn about special partner promotions and discounts, visit IrishFest.com.
About Milwaukee Irish Fest
Milwaukee Irish Fest is the world’s largest celebration of Celtic music and culture. The four-day festival showcases more than 100 entertainment acts on 17 stages at Henry W. Maier Festival Park on Milwaukee’s lakefront. The annual festival occurs every third weekend in August. The 37th annual Milwaukee Irish Fest takes place August 17 to 20, 2017.
Milwaukee Irish Fest is proudly presented by CelticMKE, a non-profit organization dedicated to igniting a love of Celtic culture in all people. With the help of more than 4,000 volunteers, CelticMKE and Milwaukee Irish Fest promote Celtic music, dance, drama, sports, culture, children’s activities and genealogy through the annual festival, as well as year-round programming. For more information, visit CelticMKE.com.
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by CelticMKE
Featuring 33 artists and vendors from the Midwest region
The World’s Largest Irish Festival Gets Support from Notable Neighbors
Guests can take advantage of great ways to save everyday