I-794 Lake Freeway/Hoan Bridge project reaches halfway point
Motorists can expect to encounter major ramp closures in second stage
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is beginning the second stage of construction on the I-794 Lake Freeway/Hoan Bridge project. Beginning the evening of Friday, December 12, the I-794 East exit to Jackson/Van Buren Street will be closing long term. Access to downtown will still be maintained by numerous alternate routes:
- Traveling from the north
- I-43 South to I-794 East (southbound) to Plankinton Avenue
- I-43 South to McKinley/Fond du Lac Avenue exit
- I-43 South to 11th Street exit
- Traveling from the south
- I-43 North to I-794 East (southbound) to Plankinton Avenue exit
- I-43 North to 10th and Michigan Street exit, east on Michigan Street
- I-43 North to National Avenue exit, east on National Avenue to 1st Street, north on 1st Street
- Traveling from the west
- I-94 East to James Lovell Street/St. Paul Avenue exits
- I-94 East to 13th Street exit to St. Paul Avenue or Clybourn Street/Tory Hill Street
- I-94 East to I-43 North to Kilbourn Avenue Tunnel exit
- I-94 East to I-43 North to McKinley/Fond du Lac Avenue exit
The temporary Milwaukee Street entrance ramp to I-794 East (southbound Hoan Bridge) will close in the evening of December 12. Motorists are encouraged to use the newly reopened Broadway ramp to travel east (southbound Hoan Bridge) on I-794. The new entrance ramp is located one block west of Milwaukee Street, at the intersection of Clybourn Street and Broadway.
To switch the roadway to the second stage, I-794 will close from the Marquette Interchange to Carferry Drive between 10 p.m., December 12 and 8 a.m., December 13. Motorists using I-794 can follow the posted detours.
Construction on the I-794 Lake Freeway/Hoan Bridge project is currently scheduled for completion in late 2015. All work is weather dependent.
For updates and additional information on the I-794 Lake Freeway/Hoan Bridge project visit the project website at http://projects.511wi.gov/web/hoan-bridge-project.
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Wisconsin Department of Transportation
July was the deadliest month on Wisconsin roads this year, prompting transportation safety officials to issue a “call to action” urging all motorists to be safe/responsible
Includes Expressway Policing Aids to the Milwaukee County Sheriff Department for patrol of Milwaukee expressways.