Goyke backs proposals to help vets in education, other areas
State senator backs package being circulated by State Rep. Dianne Hesselbein
The proposals circulated for co-sponsorship include:
- LRB 1432 – Direct the governor to proclaim the second week of November “Veteran Education Awareness Week” every year, to raise awareness of the educational benefits to which veterans are entitled and resources available to help them maximize their benefits.
- LRB 1437 – Considering post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or other mental health or substance abuse issues as mitigating factors in sentencing certain criminal offenders.
- LRB 1449 – Waive Department of Transportation fees for disabled veterans when they apply for an initial vehicle operator’s license or motorcycle license.
- LRB 1482 – Create a task force on issues concerning service members returning home from war.
- LRB 1455 – Require the UW Board of Regents to accept all foreign language credits transferred from the Defense Language (Institute) on behalf of a student who is a veteran who completed a course of study at the Institute.
- LRB 1456 – Requires technical college districts to charge resident fees to: 1) a veteran living in this state, regardless of whether the veteran is a resident, if the veteran was discharged or released from at least 90 days of active service within the three years before the date of enrollment in the technical college; and 2) the veteran’s spouse or child, living in this state, who is eligible for certain federal benefits by virtue of his or her relationship to the veteran.
- LRB 1722 – University of Wisconsin and Technical College credits based on military training or experience.
Said Goyke: “Last summer, during a veterans listening session in my district, local veterans and veteran service agencies shared ideas about how the State of Wisconsin can better serve and support our veterans. These proposals do just that.”
Recent Press Releases by State Rep. Evan Goyke
Bipartisan legislation would fix Wisconsin’s outdated expungement law
Proposal Would Create Program in DATCP to Recruit Veterans into Agriculture