Gov. Scott Walker
Press Release

Governor Walker Requests Federal Disaster Aid for Western Wisconsin Due to September Flooding

Governor Scott Walker today sent a letter to President Barack Obama requesting a federal disaster declaration for 12 western Wisconsin counties after torrential rains and flash floods last month caused more than $11 million in damage.

By - Oct 11th, 2016 04:58 pm

Madison – Governor Scott Walker today sent a letter to President Barack Obama requesting a federal disaster declaration for 12 western Wisconsin counties after torrential rains and flash floods last month caused more than $11 million in damage to roads and public infrastructure. The request is for federal assistance to help local governments recover from the disaster.

“Once again, heavy rains caused flash flooding and mudslides over a large section of our state causing widespread damage to homes, businesses and roads,” Governor Walker said. “We need the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to quickly approve this request. The flooding has put huge strains on many local budgets and time is of the essence as crews are working hard to get these roads and bridges repaired before winter begins.”

Governor Walker requested federal disaster assistance for Adams, Chippewa, Clark, Crawford, Eau Claire, Jackson, Juneau, La Crosse, Monroe, Richland, Trempealeau, and Vernon Counties. Last week, FEMA, Wisconsin Department of Transportation, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and Wisconsin Emergency Management conducted damage assessments across the impacted areas with local officials.

The Public Assistance Program would help communities recover some of the costs incurred fighting the floods, protecting citizens, removing debris, and repairing roads and other infrastructure. The program is not for businesses or homeowners.  However, Governor Walker is working with other federal and state agencies to see if there are additional programs that could provide assistance to flood victims.

Heavy rains pummeled western Wisconsin September 21-22, causing flash floods, mudslides, and washed out roads. The ground was already saturated from previously heavy rainfalls that had occurred since August. County emergency management officials reported numerous roads, bridges, and other infrastructure damaged in the flooding. During FEMA assessments, Vernon County had over $5.2 million in damage.

If the federal declaration is approved, FEMA provides 75 percent of eligible costs. The state of Wisconsin and local communities impacted share the remaining 25 percent.

Governor Walker also issued Executive Order #217 today adding Juneau County to the list of counties previously declared in the State of Emergency due to the floods. In recent days, Juneau County reported new public infrastructure damage caused by the September storms to Wisconsin Emergency Management.

Press Releases by Gov. Scott Walker

Gov. Scott Walker

Governor Walker Announces Appointments to the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents

"We look forward to the leadership of Mike and Bob and thank them for their willingness to serve in this capacity."

Gov. Scott Walker

Governor Walker Issues Statement Applauding the Presidential Approval of the Keystone XL Pipeline

"It will add jobs, capacity, and ensure our nation is making sound choices to protect our energy security."

Gov. Scott Walker

Governor Walker Highlights K-12 Education Investments During Visit To Bradley Technology High School in Milwaukee

Milwaukee Public Schools is estimated to receive approximately $1.32 billion in funding from the state under Governor Walker’s biennial budget

Gov. Scott Walker

Governor Walker Issues Statement on the Tragic Death of Greg “Ziggy” Zyszkiewicz and Orders Flags to Half-Staff

"On behalf of the State of Wisconsin, I am lowering the flags to half-staff as a mark of respect for Mr. Zyszkiewicz."

Gov. Scott Walker

German Candy-Maker HARIBO Selects Wisconsin for First North American Manufacturing Facility

New facility in Kenosha County expected to open in 2020

Gov. Scott Walker

Governor Walker Announces $400,000 for Non-Profit Organizations to Help Veteran Entrepreneurs

The experience our veterans receive serving in the military provide them with unique skills and expertise that not only benefit potential employers but also make them savvy business owners."

See More Releases

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *