County Executive Chris Abele
Press Release

County Board’s Flawed Decision Costs Taxpayers $76 Million

Today, a special committee hand-picked by County Board leaders, spent five minutes in open session and quickly voted to not allow the contract.

By - Feb 20th, 2014 04:57 pm

The Milwaukee County Board today cost taxpayers $76.3 million by rejecting a new transit contract.

MV Transportation, a nationally recognized and respected company, was awarded the transit contract last year after winning a competitive bidding process. Two of the losing bidders filed appeals with the County Board. Today, a special committee hand-picked by County Board leaders, spent five minutes in open session and quickly voted to not allow the contract.

“The decision today upholds the status quo and costs taxpayers millions and millions of dollars. Our transit system has been on life-support for years, this contract would have allowed us to put more money into bus service and remake a broken system,” County Executive Chris Abele said. “The County Board’s decision lacks factual support or legal reasoning and it should concern every resident of Milwaukee County who wants their government to save money and run more efficiently.”

County Executive Abele has directed the Department of Transportation to explore every avenue on how to best move forward.

Mentioned in This Press Release

People:
Organizations:

Recent Press Releases by County Executive Chris Abele

Abele Statement on 2018 County Budget

"I will not endorse the County Board’s service cuts and am therefore returning the budget to the County Board unsigned."

China Lights at Boerner Botanical Gardens a Big Success

The festival saw attendance of more than 110,000 visitors.

2017 Beer Garden Season in The Parks: Final Weekend, Nov. 4-5

Beer will be “free flowing” Sunday, beginning at 4 p.m., at the South Shore Terrace with free beer until it runs out or 6 p.m.

One thought on “County Board’s Flawed Decision Costs Taxpayers $76 Million”

  1. Bill Sell says:

    Mr. Abele bends the truth with “spent five minutes in open session and quickly voted to not allow the contract.” That was Thursday. Two days earlier the committee spent some four or five hours in open session listening to the appeals and the MCDOT rejoinders. There was no lack of time spent getting to a decision. According to a member of the committee, the decision meeting itself required 24 hour notice (by ordinance) thus pushing the decision off two days from the hearing itself.

    As for the “loss” of $76 million, well, that’s if all vendors were created equal. But it now is clear the MV was in over its head on this proposal and was unable to provide the detail the Proposal Evaluators managed to find in Veolia and MTS’ proposals.

    Rather than degrade the work of the committee, Mr. Abele might find his way to writing an RFP with the help of the County Board. Collaboration gets the job done.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *