Abele’s Proposed Budget Won’t Raise Taxes, Invests in Mental Health & Public Safety
The $1.3 billion budget holds the line on property taxes while making important investments across Milwaukee County.
MILWAUKEE – Milwaukee County Executive Chris Abele presented his proposed 2014 Budget today. The $1.3 billion budget holds the line on property taxes while making important investments across Milwaukee County.
“Not all the decisions in this budget are easy, but none of us were elected to do the easy thing. With my budget, I am providing the County Board with good options and the opportunity to do the right thing,” Abele said.
County Executive Abele’s budget includes:
- A new Public Safety Initiative across Milwaukee County.
- A $4.9 million investment to continue the transformation to a community-based mental health system and away from institutional care.
- No property tax increase.
- Lower paratransit fares and an increase in bus service miles.
- $400,000 in workforce development training to help unskilled and under-skilled workers increase their wages.
- $79 million in capital projects to help the County address long-deferred maintenance.
- $3 million dollars to continue County Executive Abele’s plan to fix long neglected parks in urban areas.
- A plan to replace two, aging indoor pools with a splash pad and skate park.
- Millions of dollars to the Milwaukee County Debt Service Reserve Fund to prepare for an emergency.
- $4 million for Efficiency Initiatives, one-time money for projects that make the County more sustainable.
- A 2% raise for employees, no furlough days and $50 dollar monthly reduction in health care premiums for employees who take part in the County’s new wellness program.
A copy of County Executive Abele’s Budget Address can be viewed online:
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by County Executive Chris Abele
"Our current pension system is overly complicated and unsustainable."
"This examination also confirms that this kind of piecemeal reform strategy is a total failure for our system."