6 MPS students win national Scholastic Art & Writing Awards
Previous honorees include Ken Burns, Joyce Carol Oates, Sylvia Plath and Andy Warhol
MILWAUKEE (April 7, 2016) – Six Milwaukee Public Schools students now have something in common with creative icons including Richard Avedon, Ken Burns, Joyce Carol Oates, Sylvia Plath, Robert Redford and Andy Warhol.
The six are winners of national Scholastic Art & Writing Awards, earning national medals in categories from painting to science fiction/fantasy writing.
The winning MPS students’ entries were selected from among a record-breaking 320,000 works of art and writing. Fewer than 50 students from Wisconsin were among the national winners and one MPS student, Lilian Solheim of Milwaukee High School of the Arts, won two awards: gold and silver medals for her entries in painting.
As part of its eight Strategic Objectives to improve student outcomes, MPS has been focusing on reading, writing, speaking, listening and language at the high school level. The district has also added more than 100 art, music and physical education specialist teachers in recent years, providing students with critical access to a well-rounded education.
MPS’ national award recipients are:
- William Fendt, Milwaukee High School of the Arts, Silver Medal for Science Fiction/Fantasy writing: “Pearls”
- Cynthia Monter, Riverside University High School, Silver Medal for a Short Story: “Final Journey”
- Jada Patterson, Rufus King International High School, Silver Medal for Painting: “Reflection in Shapes and Colors”
- Leah Penn, Rufus King International High School, Creative and Citizenship award for Drawing and Illustration: “divergence”
- Marissa Robertson, Milwaukee High School of the Arts, Gold Medal for Personal Essay/Memoir: “A Selected Collection of Human Anatomy”
- Lilian Solheim, Milwaukee High School of the Arts, Gold and Silver Medals in Panting: “Following Myself” (gold) and “Stoic Man” (silver)
MPS Superintendent Dr. Darienne Driver joins the students’ teachers, principals and support staff as well as the entire MPS family in congratulating these national award winners as well as the families and educators that helped them on their way!
Press Releases by Milwaukee Public Schools
Milwaukee Public Schools, City of Milwaukee, Milwaukee Police Department, and Milwaukee Bucks to announce the return of Midnight Basketball LeagueFeb 6th, 2017 by Milwaukee Public Schools
Milwaukee Public Schools will host three 10-week Midnight Leagues at Bradley Tech.
Milwaukee Public Schools hosts Enrollment Fair to help families select schools and enroll for Fall 2017Jan 26th, 2017 by Milwaukee Public Schools
Representatives from all district schools will be present to showcase programs and answer questions; families can enroll on site
School board’s actions reduced benefits liability projections by $3.63 billion over last eight yearsJan 18th, 2017 by Milwaukee Public Schools
Changes in funding allow Milwaukee Public Schools to direct more funds to students
Secondary, IB and year round schools move to August start date
MPS Board Committee accepts early start calendar for high schools, middle schools and year-round schoolsDec 16th, 2016 by Milwaukee Public Schools
Committee asks administration to pursue further research and dialog regarding elementary school calendars