Thomas “Tom” Barrett is the Mayor of the City of Milwaukee.
Tom Barrett was elected Milwaukee’s 40th Mayor on April 6, 2004, and has been reelected with over 70% of the vote in both 2008 and 2012.
As Milwaukee’s Chief Executive, Tom Barrett is making neighborhoods safer by strengthening the Milwaukee Police Department, targeting gangs and illegal guns and forging partnerships with faith-based groups and neighborhood organizations to strengthen the community’s role in reducing crime.
Mayor Barrett continues to strengthen the City’s economic toolkit to create family-supporting jobs and provide assistance to entrepreneurs to expand or open small businesses. He is creating hope in the lives of young people throughout the city with a number of workforce initiatives, including his YouthBuilds program which offers a comprehensive approach to education, training and employment for young adults, and his Summer Earn and Learn initiative which has placed over 12,000 students in summer jobs, The Mayor’s Manufacturing Partnership, launched in 2011, connects area employers with potential employees through a unique and tailored skills training program.
Through efforts that bring families together like the Milwaukee Fatherhood Initiative and the partnerships with United Way and community groups to reduce Teen Pregnancy and Infant Mortality, Mayor Barrett seeks to strengthen our community’s moral compass and future.
Mayor Barrett has enacted his vision for a greener Milwaukee through the formation of Milwaukee’s Green Team the establishment of Milwaukee’s Office of Sustainability. The Office of Sustainability promotes cost-effective environmental sustainability practices that meet Milwaukee’s urgent environmental, economic and social needs while enhancing long-term economic growth. He is also one of the region’s greatest champions for the Great Lakes and currently serves as Chair of the Great Lakes St. Lawrence Cities Initiative, an binational organization comprised of mayors and other local officials that works actively to advance the protection and restoration of the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence River.
Tom Barrett grew up on Milwaukee’s West side, graduated college and law school from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, was a member of both the Wisconsin State Assembly and State Senate and was elected to five terms in the U.S. Congress.
Barrett and his wife, Kris, live in Milwaukee’s Washington Heights Neighborhood with their four children: Tommy, Annie, Erin and Kate.
- Jul 1st, 2015 by Bruce Murphy
- Jun 30th, 2015 by Jeramey Jannene
- Jun 30th, 2015 by Jack Fennimore
- Jun 25th, 2015 by Michael Horne
- Jun 17th, 2015 by Patrick Small
- Jun 16th, 2015 by Jabril Faraj
Press Releases Referencing Tom Barrett
Jul 1st, 2015 by Joe Davis, Sr.
Statement from Alderman Joe Davis, Sr. July 1, 2015
Jul 1st, 2015 by Bob Donovan
Statement from Alderman Bob Donovan July 1, 2015
Jun 29th, 2015 by Joe Davis, Sr.
Statement from Alderman Joe Davis, Sr. June 29, 2015
Jun 26th, 2015 by Bob Donovan
Statement from Alderman Bob Donovan June 26, 2015
Jun 8th, 2015 by Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors
Invites Public to the Table
Jun 8th, 2015 by Chris Abele
Milwaukee County Executive Chris Abele will unveil a new plan to end chronic homelessness in Milwaukee County with Mayor Tom Barrett at the site of the new Thurgood Marshall Apartments on Tuesday, June 9.
- Milwaukee Bucks co-owner Wes Edens lobbied lawmakers for arena on latest Wisconsin visit - Jun 29th, 2015 - Milwaukee Business Journal - Rich Kirchen
- Zurn moving headquarters to Milwaukee - Jun 23rd, 2015 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Tom Daykin
- Chris Abele hires pricey security guards, upgrades to full-size SUV - Jun 22nd, 2015 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Public hearing set on city’s proposed financing package for new arena - Jun 18th, 2015 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Tom Daykin
- Arena funding plan would kill convention center expansion, officials say - Jun 8th, 2015 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Tom Daykin