- Owner: Barrett Visionary Development
- Architect: Rinka Chung Architecture
- Status: Proposed
The site was originally expected to include a 180-room hotel, but that was announced to be eliminated on June 18th, 2014. Instead, the proposed 179 apartments will be expanded to 294 apartments.
The building has been designed by Rinka Chung Architecture.
The building will also retail space. Barrett was at one point pursuing the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra for the building, and has been rumored to also be pursuing a grocery store.
On Sept 3rd, 2014 the project design was updated to include a streetcar stop in the base of the building.
On June 26th, 2015 Circuit Court Judge Christopher Foley ruled in favor of the county, over Preserve our Parks, in the lawsuit over the county’s ability to sell the Downtown Transit Center site.
On August 18th, 2015 John Lunz told BizTimes that Preserve Our Parks would not appeal the decision by Christopher Foley, clearing the way for the project to move forward.
- Jan 8th, 2017 by Jeramey Jannene
- Jan 7th, 2017 by Jeramey Jannene
- Dec 30th, 2016 by Jeramey Jannene
- Dec 8th, 2016 by Michael Horne
- Oct 25th, 2016 by Jabril Faraj
- Oct 12th, 2016 by Jeramey Jannene
Press Releases Referencing The Couture
- Statement of IBEW Local 494 on Milwaukee County’s Sale of the Downtown Transit Center - Aug 31st, 2016 by International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 494
- Couture Economic Development Project to Move Forward - Aug 30th, 2016 by Milwaukee County Executive Chris Abele
- Last Buses Pull Out of Downtown Transit Center This Weekend - Aug 26th, 2016 by Milwaukee County Transit System
- County Executive Chris Abele Announces Major Milestone in Couture Project - Apr 4th, 2016 by Milwaukee County Executive Chris Abele
- Supervisor Patricia Jursik Congratulates Rick Barrett on Couture Project - Aug 19th, 2015 by Patricia Jursik
- Defining Lakefront Vision Moves Forward - Dec 18th, 2014 by Milwaukee County Executive Chris Abele
- Chairwoman Marina Dimitrijevic Announces New Commitment of $200,000 in Workforce Development Funding on Couture and Streetcar Projects - Dec 16th, 2014 by Marina Dimitrijevic
- Milwaukee County Supervisor Michael Mayo, Sr. Announces Opposition to Downtown Transit Center and O’Donnell Park Sales - Dec 9th, 2014 by Michael Mayo
- Supervisors Announce Support for Couture Project - Dec 8th, 2014 by David Bowen
- City Unveils New Plan to Build on $2.6 Billion in Downtown Investment by Moving the Streetcar Project Forward, Adding Lakefront Line - Nov 18th, 2014 by Mayor Tom Barrett
- WRTP/BIG STEP Board of Directors taps Mark Kessenich as New President and Chief Executive Officer - Nov 11th, 2014 by WRTP /BIG STEP
- Charlie Fox Comments on County Executive’s Budget in Absence of District Supervisor - Oct 2nd, 2014 by Charlie Fox
- Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of Wisconsin Issues Statement in Support of the Couture Development - Sep 3rd, 2014 by Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of Wisconsin
- Great Plan Gets Even Better! - Sep 3rd, 2014 by Milwaukee County Executive Chris Abele
- Supervisor Jursik Criticizes Shoreline Bill - Feb 5th, 2014 by Patricia Jursik
- County Executive Abele Statement on Shoreline Bill - Feb 5th, 2014 by Milwaukee County Executive Chris Abele
- Abele buys second Moderne condo for $700,000 - Nov 24th, 2015 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Tom Daykin
- Overshadowed a bit by neighbors, 833 East expects tenants by March - Sep 1st, 2015 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Tom Daykin
- Construction work for The Couture could begin in 2016 - Aug 19th, 2015 - BizTimes - Andrew Weiland
- Preserve Our Parks will not appeal lawsuit, clearing way for Couture on Milwaukee’s lakefront - Aug 18th, 2015 - The Milwaukee Business Journal
- Couture legal challenge ends, clearing way for lakefront high-rise - Aug 18th, 2015 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Tom Daykin
- Preserve Our Parks gives up its fight against The Couture - Aug 18th, 2015 - BizTimes
- Battle to build The Couture could be nearing end - Jul 13th, 2015 - BizTimes - Andrew Weiland
- Court’s decision allows transit center sale for Couture development - Jun 26th, 2015 - The Milwaukee Business Journal - Sean Ryan
- Judge clears way for county land sale for Couture high-rise - Jun 26th, 2015 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Tom Daykin
- Barrett Drops Hotel From The Couture Plans - Jun 18th, 2014 - BizTimes - Andrew Weiland
- Couture to bring grocer to Milwaukee lakefront - Sep 13th, 2013 - The Milwaukee Business Journal - Sean Ryan
- Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra considers move to Couture - May 16th, 2013 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - Tom Daykin