The Prospect Mall Apartments is an under construction project to convert the former Prospect Mall into a mixed-use building. The expanded building will include four new floors housing 52 apartments, as well as 52 indoor parking spots and about 10,000 square feet of retail space.
The project is being led by Robert Joseph of Joseph Property Development. Joseph is the grandson of George Bockl, who originally converted the building from an auto dealership into a mall. Joseph acquired the property from BoulderVenture, Inc. for $1 million. Construction started in January of 2013.
Before it was converted to the Prospect Mall in 1976, the building housed a car dealership under a number of names (Lake Park Motors, Inc., Bob Black Oldsmobile, Inc., East Side Chevrolet Company, “Bud” Donahue Chevrolet, Schlesigner Chevrolet). The building itself was constructed in 1912. The site previously held the Farwell Ave Barns for the Milwaukee Electrical Railway and Light Company.
The building and parking lot (across Prospect Ave) were acquired in 2004 by BoulderVenture, Inc (Prospect I, LLC) for $2,350,000. The mall was sold in 1977 by developer George Bockl (who built the mall) to First City Resources Corporation (Prospect Mall Partners).
Marcus Corp. operated a three-screen cinema (Prospect Mall Cinema) in the building until June 18th, 2006.
During the time BoulderVenture, Inc. owned the property (starting in 2004), a number of proposals were floated for the mall. In 2008, the firm attempted submitted a bid to the UWM Real Estate Foundation that was one of three finalists for a new UWM residence hall. The residence hall would have been located on the former mall parking lot.
In 2009, Mercy Housing Lakefront submitted a proposal to win affordable housing tax credits to convert the building to apartments. That project did not receive funding. A similar project was proposed in 2010 by CommonBond Communities, which also did not receive WHEDA affordable housing tax credits.
- Business Journal Serving Greater Milwaukee – “Developer Joseph Buys Prospect Mall for $1 Million” – Sean Ryan – December 24th, 2012
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel – “Prospect Ave. Apartments Win Approval” – Tom Daykin – October 4th, 2012
- Business Journal Serving Greater Milwaukee – “Prospect Mall Redevelopment Includes 52 Apartments” – Sean Ryan – September 6th, 2012
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel – “Apartments, Retail Plan Unveiled for Former Prospect Mall” – Tom Daykin – September 5th, 2012
- Business Journal Serving Greater Milwaukee – “Apartments and Renovated Retail Space Considered for Prospect Mall” – Sean Ryan – May 21st, 2012
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel – “Prospect Mall Site Considered for Apartments” – Tom Daykin – May 21st, 2012
- OnMilwaukee.com – “A Plan Emerges for Prospect Mall” – November 2nd, 2011
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel – “East Side Apartments Near Columbia St. Mary’s Proposed” – Tom Daykin – March 4th, 2010
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel – “Former Prospect Mall Could Become Apartments” – Tom Daykin – April 7th, 2009
- Urban Milwaukee – “UWM Prospect Mall Parking Lot Dorm Renderings” – Jeramey Jannene – September 4th, 2008
- Urban Milwaukee – “Prospect Mall UWM Site Meeting – Review” – Jeramey Jannene – September 3rd, 2008
- Milwaukee Streets – “The Corpse of Prospect Mall” – Robert Powers – June 7th, 2008
- OnMilwaukee.com – “Sunday Sound-Off: What Should Replace Prospect Mall” – Molly Snyder – June 18th, 2006
- Milwaukee Journal Sentienl – “Sunday’s Movies Will Be Last for Prospect Mall Cinema” – Tom Daykin – June 15th, 2006
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel – “Investors See Potential in Mall Purchase” – Tom Daykin – March 30th, 2004
- Milwaukee Sentinel – “Clavis Theater Plans to Move to Prospect Mall in November” – October 5th, 1988
- Milwaukee Sentinel – “Prospect Mall Hit By Foreclosure Suit” – April 18th, 1987
- Milwaukee Journal – “Local Firm is Hired to Manage, Boost Image of Prospect Mall” – January 2nd, 1984
- Milwaukee Journal – “Prospect Mall Still Finding Itself ” – October 24th, 1978
- Milwaukee Journal – “Prospect Mall Sold to Illinois Firm” – December 21st, 1977
- Milwaukee Journal – “Prospect Mall Merchants Hopeful” – Joel McNally – November 7th, 1977
- Milwaukee Journal – “Move Planned by Schlesinger” – July 19th, 1975
- Milwaukee Journal – “Bud Donahue Chevrolet” – Advertisement – March 12th, 1971
- Milwaukee Journal – “East Side Chevrolet Company” – Help Wanted – January 18th, 1964
- Milwaukee Journal – “Bob Black Oldsmobile” – Advertisement – November 23rd, 1954
- Milwaukee Journal – “Lake Park Motors, Inc.” – Advertisement – April 9th, 1937
- UWM Digital Sanborn Maps of Milwaukee – “1910, vol. 1, sheet 71” – 1910
Articles Referencing Prospect Mall Apartments (The Overlook on Prospect)
Jan 23rd, 2014 by Jeramey Jannene
Three different projects will together remake E. North Avenue. Our photos capture the progress.
Jan 9th, 2014 by Bruce Murphy
Developer Joel Lee claims the buzzing retail strip needs help from the city.
Dec 6th, 2013 by Dave Reid
Look, a sandwich shop disguised as a construction site!
Oct 11th, 2013 by Urban Milwaukee
Construction is midway on a five-floor complex that will have 52 apartments and 10,000 square feet of retail space.
May 15th, 2013 by Peggy Schulz
In the digital age, this shop still collects the real thing: old books that collectors treasure.
Mar 29th, 2013 by Urban Milwaukee
The facade is getting stripped and openings for big windows have been created.