NNS Announces Membership Program
Unique hyper-local publication seeks support from individual readers and fans.
The Milwaukee Neighborhood News Service (NNS) has launched a fund drive to support their online news publication.
NNS is a hyper-local publication which, as its mission statement notes, “covers stories that are important to the people who live, work and serve in city neighborhoods, on topics such as education, public safety, economic development, health and wellness, environment, recreation, employment, youth development and housing.” It seeks to “give residents of low-income minority neighborhoods a voice.”
Many of its stories are also published by Urban Milwaukee.
NNS has won a number of journalism awards, including a regional Edward R. Murrow Award for excellence from the Radio Television Digital News Association in March 2012, and awards from the Milwaukee Press Club in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016, including the 2015 gold award for “Best Local News or Feature Website.”
The publication is a non-profit that traces its origins to the Zilber Neighborhood Initiative and receives funding from a number of foundations. It has now created a membership program to give its readers and fans a chance to help support its unique journalism:
- $30 or $2.50 per month for one year: A chance to win a Milwaukee bus tour with Adam Carr
- $60 or $5 per month for one year: NNS drawstring backpack
- $120 or $10 per month for one year: NNS drawstring backpack and water bottle
- $180 or $15 per month for one year: A donor recognition lunch and panel discussion, NNS drawstring backpack and water bottle
- $240 or $20 per month for one year: A Milwaukee bus tour with Adam Carr, NNS drawstring backpack and water bottle