Public Meetings On Final Sites For New UWM Dorm
Public meetings for each dorm site have been announced. At each meeting the development teams will explain the proposal. The developer of the proposed site and UWM representives will be available for questions at each meeting. As a refresher we have included our opinion on each of the sites as described (we have not see the proposals yet).
Dave Reid and myself will be at the meetings on the 2nd and 4th, but will unfortunately have to miss the meeting on the 3rd.
Tuesday, Sept. 2 • 6:30pm • Maryland Ave. School – 2418 N. Maryland Ave.
Boulder Venture’s proposal for the Prospect Mall parking lot, between Ivanhoe Pl. and Kenilworth Pl.
Site #1 – The Prospect Mall
Actual Location: Prospect Avenue between Ivanhoe Place & Kenilworth Place
What’s There Now: Former Prospect Mall, currently empty, along with surface parking lot across Farwell
Note: We have heard that this project would potentially only use the east side of Prospect, the surface parking lot and Qdoba. We are unsure how it would integrate into the currently empty mall. If this is true, it could change our ranking (see bottom of article) of the site. UPDATE We contacted Boulder Venture to clarify this question but they are unable to comment on the proposal at this time.
- Close to other dorm (Kenilworth) and close to campus
- On an existing bus route (30)
- Uses a currently unused property
- Would help area businesses by delivering 500 new customers
- Would please students to be close to other students
- Would create another cluster of students possibly creating more neighborhood backlash
Wednesday, Sept. 3 • 6:30pm • Urban Ecology Center – 1500 E. Park Place
The Mandel Group’s proposal for the old Hometown gas station, on the NE corner of North Ave. and the Milwaukee River
Site #4 – Hometown Gas Station
Actual Location: 1436 North Avenue
What’s There Now: Abandoned gas station
- On North Avenue near entertainment district
- On existing transit route (21)
- Inbetween both Riverview and Kenilworth dorms
- Next to river
- Easy for current UWM Shuttle to stop here on route from Riverview
- Would draw ire of many residents because of Milwaukee River Overlay District due to its spot along river
- Nearby residents would certainly raise a fuss about parking, congestion, regardless if it were true or not.
Thursday, Sept. 4 • 6:30pm • Holy Rosary Hall – 2011 N. Oakland Ave.
Phelan Development and Towne Investment’s proposal for the SE corner of Farwell Ave. and Royall Pl.
Site #2 – Near Brady Street Site
Actual Location: 1744 N. Farwell Avenue, Southeast Corner of North Farwell Avenue and East Royall Place
What’s There Now: Surface Parking Lot
- Would deliver 500 new customers to Brady Street area
- Replaces existing surface parking lot
- Close to entertainment for students
- On existing bus route (30)
- Would be furthest dorm from campus